Bayonne,NJ
Hi everyone ! I m back !!!!
New liner Again -sigh - all new water
12x24x52heated above ground pool
Heat is not on yet - been a chilly spring in NJ
Water is Crystal clear - temp?60's
Added liquid stabilizer -0 affect -
No CYA
I replaced some reagents last August - could R13 be bad ?
could stabilizer be bad - also purchased
last August
Added less than pool math Rec for soda ash and ph shot from 6.8 to 8.2 ???
So order new reagents ? And stabilizer ?
Thanks
Hope you are all well and safe in this crazy sad 2020
Deb

The liquid stabilizer can clump up settle to the bottom if it sits for some period of time. Did you empty the entire bottle or just a portion of it? If your reagents are less than one year old and stored properly, they should be good. The CYA reagent is one of the least susceptible to degradation over time.

Without complete test results, we can't even guess what happened. There's the slimmest of chances that your pool developed ammonia over the winter. Some kind of bacteria eats CYA and produces ammonia. And you might have just fed it. It could just as easily be a slow chemical reaction because of the chilly water.

Grab a sample of water and set it in a sunny windowsill to warm up and try the CYA test on that.

If it still shows none, then you need to worry about ammonia. Post back with test results and we'll go from there. No point in typing out the next steps until we know what we're working with.

What about CC?

If you have ammonia, it will eat the chlorine really fast and leave you with really high CC. Don't add any more CYA until you've ruled out Ammonia. Otherwise you're just feeding the bacteria and creating even more ammonia.

To check for ammonia, add 10 FC with the pump on and brush to really mix things well, and after 15 minutes, test FC & CC. That will tell us. But if you have to go out to buy more bleach, you could also stop at a pet store and buy an ammonia test kit for aquariums. Or maybe you already have one?

With a new liner and new water, it's really unlikely you have ammonia, but you still should check CC just in case. There might have been something trapped in the filter.

What are you using to test? I know you mention reagents, but the fact that you didn't post CC makes me wonder if you are using a proper test kit? I don't see one listed in your signature.

I also see you list Chlorine tabs? Have you gone through Pool School before? LC is the only way you should be sanitizing short of an SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
0 CC
I just added rest of the liquid stabilizer
Which I did noT realize was so thick at the bottom - so I diluted it and added to
Pool along with 1/2 gallon LC
And we ll See in the am
??
Yeah, well you don't want more. 60 CYA is plenty high. This will require a little more LC throughout the year. As long as you do not use tablets or powders it should come down over time. I believe 30-40 is the ideal range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.