New VSP for Endless Pool - What RPM to Heat?

JZeld

Oct 13, 2012
I just purchased and installed a new Hayward VSP for my Endless Pool (around 3000 gallons). The pool is in an enclosed heated space and has a cover. The pool heater is a Spa-Pak 5500w. What is the best RPM to run the Hayward variable speed pump at to heat the pool? Because of its small size, it is cleaned very quickly but heating the thing by what is virtually a large toaster, especially in the Winter, can take awhile. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, AftonJeeper. I'm wondering if the high RPM is necessary, especially when heating something as small as 3000 gallons. What is the downside of running at 900 rpm?

A related question. I don't normally heat the room the Endless Pool is in in the Winter. I do turn it on around Christmas for a week or so. In heating the pool from ~50 degrees up to ~80, do you think it is more efficient/cheaper to also heat the air in the room (normally around 40-50 degrees) or just heat the pool? The air is heated by a heat pump and, as I mentioned, the pool does have a safety cover. Thanks!

The toaster, sorry, heater may have a flow or pressure switch that won't allow it to turn on at that low of an RPM. Try different RPMs and see what works best for you. Your old pump was running at 3450 rpm.

I would think warming the air would make swimming more comfortable and reduce evaporation.

Thanks again, Afton. The heater operates with the pump at 900 rpm. Just wasn't sure if this was inefficient (taking longer to heat) or could negatively impact the heater.

On heating the room, yes, when swimming the temp needs to be up. But I'm thinking about when the room is empty for the other 6 and a half days (guessing) of the week. I wasn't sure how much harder it would be for the pool to be heated once the water temp gets above the air temp. Maybe it is a non-issue though? Certainly hot tubs work just fine at not crazy cost and those aren't that much smaller than the Endless Pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.