new vinyl liner

jpz

Apr 30, 2023
Fishersville Va
I have been caring for a vinyl liner chlorine pool for 30 plus years but am getting a new vinyl liner this season. I haven't opened a pool with complete water replacement in 22 years. With the addition of a new liner, I want to be sure I use the best products for preservation of the liner. Considering the increased cost of chlorine these days I want to get the best price as well.
Any advice on opening basically a brand-new opening is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Starting your chems with a fresh fill is pretty standard here really. No magic potions required. :) Consider the following:

- New water has no CYA (stabilizer), so be prepared to add at least 30-40 ppm of stabilizer. We recommend the sock soaking method.
- While the sock is soaking, add about 2-3 ppm of liquid chlorine to the water on day 1.
- Test/adjust your pH anywhere between 7.2-7.8.
- TA may require some adjusting, but it's not a huge priority.
- CH shouldn't apply to you since you have a vinyl liner.

Once that sock has been soaking for a good 30 minutes, go out there and squeeze all the stabilizer out. It should seep out of the sock like mush. Should take you about 10 min or so, then you're done.

Day 2 and beyond, balance the FC to the CYA you elected as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. This chart is your key to avoiding algae.

Always manage your pH in that 7.2-7.8 range. A pH well outside those numbers is what can impact vinyl more than anything.

Perhaps most important - proper water testing. We recommend a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C tets kit. You can't beat the quality of those kits, and they're easy for the home owner.

Be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page for tons of great info. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

This may help .....

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the PoolMath APP into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After about 30 minutes of soaking, squeeze the sock continuously to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.