Deb Driesen

Feb 20, 2021
FINGER LAKES NY
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Starting up our new pool equipment for the first time. Sta-Rite 1.5hp variable speed pump and Pentair C&C 150cc filter. Problem is the pump doesn't seem to be moving water. We filled the pump basket, opened the cap on top of the filter so water should come up through. Can any of the gurus help us out with trouble shooting please.

Let's recap:
1- Pump basket filled w/ water
2 - Lid (and drain plug) O-rings lubed well.; close lid cover securely
3 - Valves open before and after the pad to allow water to pass
4 - Water level in pool at least halfway up the skimmer opening
5 - Skimmer weir door operating properly (not stuck)

If still not priming after about 30 seconds to a minute, post a pic or two of your pad and be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. If you have an unusual elevation change or distance from the pool to the pad let us know that as well.

Let's recap:
Yes to all 5 things. There are two drains in bottom of pool and one skimmer. All are full of water.

Let's recap:
Yes to all 5 things. There are two drains in bottom of pool and one skimmer. All are full of water.

Attachments

• 20210920_150316.jpg
    20210920_150316.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210920_150316.jpg
    20210920_150316.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 15
Let's recap:
Hi, thanks. The equipment in my Signature is accurate except the pump is Sta-Rite but same 1.5hp VSP.

The equipment in my Signature is accurate except the pump is Sta-Rite but same 1.5hp VSP.
I see now. You loaded all your stuff in your profile info which shows next to your avatar on the left, but your signature is blank. I'll try to fix that for you now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
3240 gallon fiberglass plunge pool indoors.
That was going to be my next question. Ha. 3,240 - okay. I got your signature fixed. Ill add that as well in a second.

Questions:
- Are you trying to prime the pump on a high rpm (example - about 3,000 rpm)?
- The weir flap in the pick is closed I'm assuming because the pump was off in the pic correct? The flap opens freely otherwise?
- Is ANY water being pulled in to the pump when you try?

That was going to be my next question. Ha. 3,240 - okay. I got your signature fixed. Ill add that as well in a second.

Questions:
- Are you trying to prime the pump on a high rpm (example - about 3,000 rpm)?
- The weir flap in the pick is closed I'm assuming because the pump was off in the pic correct? The flap opens freely otherwise?
- Is ANY water being pulled in to the pump when you try?
We've tried 1400rpm up to 3400 rpm. My husband thinks a little, very little, water is moving. I'm thinking we need to give it more time to suck it up and load the filter. Nobody can tell us how long we dare run the pump however. Also we tried turning everything off and opening it up to see if we could turn the impeller. We couldn't feel anything in there. Tried reaching in with a metal teaspoon. Touched nothing. Looking at exploded diagram didn't tell us anything.

If I'm looking at the correct manual, your pump should by default go to max rpm (3,450) for about 5 minutes after priming. Unlike some pumps, it says to not run dry at all during the prime sequence.

Before I ask others to chime in, can you confirm for me what that item is just before the pump with the clear dome cover? Some sort of automated check valve or shutoff valve? If so, are we sure it's not closed? Also, you mentioned this is all new equipment, did it replace something else previously? Or is the entire pool and equipment all brand new?

While you're looking at options, I'm going to go ahead and tag @mas985 for another set of eyes on your situation. Since you confirmed all the questions from above in post #4, and your pool is obviously right next to the pad, there shouldn't be any resistance to water pull. So let's see if Mark has any hydraulics concerns we may have missed.

If I'm looking at the correct manual, your pump should by default go to max rpm (3,450) for about 5 minutes after priming. Unlike some pumps, it says to not run dry at all during the prime sequence.

Before I ask others to chime in, can you confirm for me what that item is just before the pump with the clear dome cover? Some sort of automated check valve or shutoff valve? If so, are we sure it's not closed? Also, you mentioned this is all new equipment, did it replace something else previously? Or is the entire pool and equipment all brand new?
Just before the pump is the sacrificial zinc anode. It sits in a pipe and is open. Your diagram is fine. We should be able to reach in there after removing the basket but we can't feel anything in there. Shouldn't we be able to feel the impeller? Could it be locked up? All new equipment, new pool. Other pools and equipment we've inherited with other houses. This is our first new build and first indoor pool. Also I'm wondering if we should dump some chlorine into the pool to hold it since we're not circulating any water, therefore not running the SWCG. We appreciate any help anyone knowledgeable in VSP can offer. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.