New to this pool thing

That would seem to indicate that the Vitamin C removed some rust/metal spots. Metals can get into the water from the source (i.e. well water), or from some pool store products (i.e. algaecides). You may be a good candidate for a sequestrant. Sequestrant is a chemical that binds to the iron in the water so that it can't form stains or turn brown. Sequestrant breaks down slowly, you need to add more on a regular basis. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants.

Let's see first what other views have to say though before you start shopping. :)

That would seem to indicate that the Vitamin C removed some rust/metal spots. Metals can get into the water from the source (i.e. well water), or from some pool store products (i.e. algaecides). You may be a good candidate for a sequestrant. Sequestrant is a chemical that binds to the iron in the water so that it can't form stains or turn brown. Sequestrant breaks down slowly, you need to add more on a regular basis. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants.

Let's see first what other views have to say though before you start shopping. :)

;) Thank you sir (I'm assuming). Should I get my water tested at Leslies? Do they do metal tests?

Well, I was tired of dumping hundreds of gallons of water into my pool daily. The leak detection guy was finally able to get out here. He was awesome, it was him and his dad. Very polite Canadians. I was at work so it was just my wife, and she was very comfortable with them here (if anyone in N Texas needs leak detection let me know). They pressure tested the line, and found a source of our water loss. It was right inside he skimmer mouth. They put an underwater epoxy on it, and it should set up today, and by Thursday I should be able to get the skimmer running full blast again. As you can see in the pic, it was on the horizontal plane of the intake, which now that I think about it makes sense. The water would drain down to that level and then stop. He and his dad fiddled with the pump area and I think have us set up nicely now. I can't wait for our water bill to go back down.

TzQWYlH.jpg

Edit: I now realize you can't really tel the difference from this pic, but it's where the blue tile meets the skimmer body. The epoxy is brighter white.

I also forgot, it was only $250 for the pressure test and repair. I was panicking that it would be thousands :)

Bump for a link to my numbers that come out of the filler.

New Guy Here

Free Available Chlorine: 3ppm "OK"
Total Available Chlorine: 3ppm "OK"
Calcium Hardness: 70ppm "Low"
Cyanuric Acid: 20ppm "Low"
Total Alkalinity: 140ppm "High"
pH: 8 "High"
Acid Demand: 2
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
Total Dissolved Solids: 250 "OK"
Phosphates: 500ppb "High"

He highlighted the Calcium, CYA, Total Alkalinity, pH, and Phosphates as troublesome areas. Like I said, this is virgin water, and I will bring pool water in tomorrow.

Today I grabbed those two reagents, one for calcium and one for CYA, not thinking. Once I got home I realized I have no idea what to do with them, and what scale to compare the colors against. Any ideas on that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.