New to the pool

This is so clear. I got it. So in take lines are basically where to pull the water to the pump and go through the filter and one circle and then back to the return lines. All of the valves on the return lines are just the faucets we control to release back to the pool right ? Okay. It makes sense that way. I was just so confuse about the word " drain ". I was assuming draining. Is draining the water to the waste. I was like. Why would I drain the water to the waste ? So basically I was wrong about filtering as well? So basically there are three way to pull the water from the pool to pump and get the filter not only on skimmer ? If that's the case. I already turn off the drain from spa. So why would my spa water level going down when pump stop ? I am so confused now.

Yes, you seem to have it correct. And yes, there are three different ways to pull water; all of them will go through your filter. There are two coming from your pool, and there is one coming from your spa. Everything to your left is just like a faucet like you said, it just controls where the water goes.

As JamesW said, your spa is above your pool. Since the pool and spa are technically "connected" through the pump/plumbing, the spa water is able to equalize with the water in the pool (physics). Your equipment does not have a check valve. A check valve allows for a one-way flow through a pipe. In other words, when the pump is off, it will stop the backwards flow from your spa that leads to the equalization. In order to install a check valve, you will first need to find out which valve sends water to the spa. This will sound a bit confusing, out of all of those lines to your left (the outbound lines or return lines), one of them goes to the hole at the bottom of your spa. There is a good chance that the line I am referring to is the culprit. You may need to play with them to figure out which one it is. Please, as I said before, be sure not to have all of the lines closed at once--this will lead to a pressure buildup which is not healthy for the equipment and possibly dangerous.

The best way to do this is to leave only one return line (outbound line) open. Check your pool and find where that water is going. Go back to your equipment, and turn the next valve on. Once you have opened the next valve, go ahead and turn the previous off. After that, go and check to see where the water is coming out. Continue doing this until you find the one for your spa. This will be the one that needs the check valve. Pro tip: be sure to install the check valve the correct direction!! This is also a way to find out which of your valves do what to your pool, so that way you can control it how you want to.

P.S., since this entire post is confusing, I want to clarify this: in the picture that I sent, one of the outbound lines is labeled as the "Spa jets." This is correct, but there is one more valve somewhere by the return lines that actually goes to the hole at the bottom of the spa. Hopefully this helps, please ask if you have any more questions or are still confused!

-Eric

- - - Updated - - -

But I basically don't lose any water right ? Is there any harmful if I don't correct it since I don't really lose water anyway ?

No, honestly, if it does not bother you, do not bother with "fixing" it. This is a preference issue, not a required issue. If you don't mind it, you can leave it alone.

Yes, you seem to have it correct. And yes, there are three different ways to pull water; all of them will go through your filter. There are two coming from your pool, and there is one coming from your spa. Everything to your left is just like a faucet like you said, it just controls where the water goes.

As JamesW said, your spa is above your pool. Since the pool and spa are technically "connected" through the pump/plumbing, the spa water is able to equalize with the water in the pool (physics). Your equipment does not have a check valve. A check valve allows for a one-way flow through a pipe. In other words, when the pump is off, it will stop the backwards flow from your spa that leads to the equalization. In order to install a check valve, you will first need to find out which valve sends water to the spa. This will sound a bit confusing, out of all of those lines to your left (the outbound lines or return lines), one of them goes to the hole at the bottom of your spa. There is a good chance that the line I am referring to is the culprit. You may need to play with them to figure out which one it is. Please, as I said before, be sure not to have all of the lines closed at once--this will lead to a pressure buildup which is not healthy for the equipment and possibly dangerous.

The best way to do this is to leave only one return line (outbound line) open. Check your pool and find where that water is going. Go back to your equipment, and turn the next valve on. Once you have opened the next valve, go ahead and turn the previous off. After that, go and check to see where the water is coming out. Continue doing this until you find the one for your spa. This will be the one that needs the check valve. Pro tip: be sure to install the check valve the correct direction!! This is also a way to find out which of your valves do what to your pool, so that way you can control it how you want to.

P.S., since this entire post is confusing, I want to clarify this: in the picture that I sent, one of the outbound lines is labeled as the "Spa jets." This is correct, but there is one more valve somewhere by the return lines that actually goes to the hole at the bottom of the spa. Hopefully this helps, please ask if you have any more questions or are still confused!

-Eric

- - - Updated - - -

No, honestly, if it does not bother you, do not bother with "fixing" it. This is a preference issue, not a required issue. If you don't mind it, you can leave it alone.
Yup.. I will leave it alone. Start my first water text and balance tomorrow. Lol. May open another one for balance. But thank you so much

It's better to keep the plaster under water. Also, if the pool is full, it can get too full when the spa drains back into the pool. I would suggest adding the check valve.

It's better to keep the plaster under water. Also, if the pool is full, it can get too full when the spa drains back into the pool. I would suggest adding the check valve.

I honestly did not know this. Always believed they were a preference. That being the case, I wonder why PBs are leaving them out...? Odd. Perhaps it is assumed that most will run their pool for the majority of the daytime?

-Eric

Edit: After looking at his plumbing again, I do not think it would be an easy task to install one..

I have ran into some more issue. There are white powder stuff filled up the suction hole in the skimmer. And there is no sucktion at all when pump is running. I just wanted to know what they are since i just took over from pool store now . And how to fix it.

Last edited:
I have ran into some more issue. There are whit powder filled up the suction hole in the skimmer. And there is no sucktion at all when pump is running. I just wanted to know what they are since i just took over from pool store now . And how to fix it.

The pool store just left it like that? With no circulation? JamesW beat me to it but it sounds like cyanuric acid, bicarb, baking soda... could be a few things.

-Eric

Edit: Do you mean that there is no suction at all in your pool or do you mean that this particular skimmer is not sucking? Asking because if it's your pool you could have a clogged impeller.

In the picture, you have a valve for pool skimmer and pool main drain, one valve is open and one is closed.

If the skimmer valve is closed, that would explain the no flow.

Are you getting flow from the returns?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Possibility cyanuric acid. Does not look like enough to clog the line.

I think that the skimmer line is closed. Rotate the leftmost suction valve 90 degrees counterclockwise so that it matches the main drain valve.

Possibility cyanuric acid. Does not look like enough to clog the line.

I think that the skimmer line is closed. Rotate the leftmost suction valve 90 degrees counterclockwise so that it matches the main drain valve.
Yup. I did what u said. And suction is back. But I don't really like those white powder stuff in the hole. Anyway to get it out ? And why there are stuff there ?

Sometimes people put chemicals, like cyanuric acid, through the system. Typically, we don't recommend that method.

You can put a garden hose in to get the stuff to billow up and get sucked into the suction hole.

Also, note that the valves have a thumbscrew on top of the handle that locks the handle in place. If the thumbscrew is tight, you have to loosen it before turning the handle.

Sometimes people put chemicals, like cyanuric acid, through the system. Typically, we don't recommend that method.

You can put a garden hose in to get the stuff to billow up and get sucked into the suction hole.

Also, note that the valves have a thumbscrew on top of the handle that locks the handle in place. If the thumbscrew is tight, you have to loosen it before turning the handle.
Thx a lot. Appreciateed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.