New to the forum

Given my work schedule I am having a really hard time getting the time to slam the pool with a watchful eye. I raise it before and after work only to find the fc back at zero as soon as I get home. Any advice for this? Or should I just be patient and stay the course. The pool has turned from swamp to a very dark green pool in 3 days.

You have to do what you can. Dose in the morning and then when you get home and then every hour or so in the evening. When the sun is off the pool, the chlorine can work more on what is in the pool and not be lost to the sun.

Gosh I am such a idiot! So I had a box of pool brand shock bags so I used 5 of those over the last few days for Slamming and then switched to bleach. The bag says its 99% sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione hydrated. Now my cya has rise from 45 on Sunday to 70 today. Do I need to drain again? Is this Crud what's been screwing me all along? I think the SAMs club shock and tablets have been sky rocketing my cya and giving me tons of issues, all while allowing the pool store to sell me the whole store trying to compensate for it.

Dichlor adds cya (as does trichlor). What size were the bags (how much weight)? 5 lbs of dichlor would have raised you 16000 gallon pool by 19 ppm cya.

You can continue the SLAM process with the higher target FC value for 70 cya, or you can drain ~30% of the pool water and refill to get to 50 ppm cya.

Man, that makes me really angry. So given my ability to only check the pool once in the morning and 2-3 times in the evening I am thinking that maybe I should just drain again so the chlorine lasts longer. Wouldn't you agree!

Kind of counter-intuitive, but actually the higher CYA will better protect the FC from the sun ... it just means you have to have a higher SLAM FC level that you must maintain.

Ideally you want the CYA lower, but it is not required. If it was closer to 90+, then you certainly want to lower it first.

Welcome to the forum and keep up the good work.....it may take awhile to get the pool nice and clear again, but it will get clear again.

To make your testing easier and faster, look at a Taylor Speed Stir. It makes my testing extremely fast, consistent and repeatable. Best money I have spent on my pool besides my 2006 kit like you.

If you go out of town regularly for week or two at a time, is there a coworker, friend, or neighbor who could come by and add a gallon of bleach in the pool for you every day or every other day? I am just throwing out the amount, because once you keep a record of your test results and how much bleach you add, it will become pretty obvious how much bleach your pool consumes a day. Just have someone come over and do that......case closed.

If you can't, perhaps I see a cover in your future. I know IG pool covers are not standard equipment, but something to consider as the cover keeps alot of Crud out of the pool and a covered pool normally doesn't go through much bleach compared to a full sun pool. something to think about.

Since your pool has gone from swamp to green you ARE making a difference......good job, now you will just need some more time to kill all that green stuff.

Bob E.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Post up some pictures and dimensions of the pool and we can help guess at the volume.

While you are at it, Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

My pool is very deep for a Florida pool. 60% of the pool is over 5ft deep with the deepest part being 8ft deep. 25% of the pool is the shallow end that is only about 3.5 feet deep. So the decline to the deep end is very steep. The pool is 24ft long, and 14 ft wide, and is a bent rectangle.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 11
So how were your dosages making you question the volume?

Based on that info, I might put it closer to 14k gallons .... call it 6.5' average for 60% and 4' average for 40%

My FC was spiking to 18-20 rather than the 16 that I was entering into the calculator. Thats why i was thinking it was smaller than I had been told by the pool store.
jblizzle said:
So how were your dosages making you question the volume?

The pool is really clearing up nice now that I have been able to focus a little more time on it, and I have drained/refilled to bring my cya back to 40ppm. I have spent $15 plus some dichlor laying around (which ended up costing more in water.) At the level I am at now the pool store would have had me well over $100. :party:

Thank you very much!!!! and my wife thanks you too :blah:

Sometimes the bleach is a little stronger as well. So could be a combo of fresh strong bleach and the pool being a little smaller.

Try using 16k for the next few doses and see if it works better. Although none of this needs to be exact.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.