Gold Supporter
Jun 29, 2021
South East Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP forum members. I am a long time pool owner looking to finally understand maintaining our family pool. You would think that I should know this but I don't. I open and close the pool yearly without issue and take care of the skimming and vacuuming. Where I falter is understanding the chemical side of pool maintenance. Every year after opening the pool we head to the pool store with a water sample and blindly follow instructions and it seems a couple times during the season we take water samples in and go through the same routine. I really hope that if I follow this web site I will finally understand the chemical side and keeping the pool water clear and balanced. Knowing what to add, when to add, why to add and what are the results is my ultimate goal!

First the stats:
Pool Size: 33,000 gallon
Surface: Vinyl liner in ground
Chlorine: Pentair Model 300 Automatic Chlorine
Filter: Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
Installed: Summer 2001

We check our pool with the typical strips that you put in the water and compare to the chart on the bottle.

Based on what I have read so far the first thing I plan to do is buy the TF-100 test kit. And my first question to the forum is what optional items should I purchase with the kit?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may offer. It will take me awhile to learn how to navigate the TFP forum so please bear with me as I fumble my through getting familiar with the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on what I have read so far the first thing I plan to do is buy the TF-100 test kit. And my first question to the forum is what optional items should I purchase with the kit?
A Smart Stir or Speed Stir. It will make testing easier, more fun, and more consistent. You'll probably find you won't be using the inline chlorinator or other forms of solid chlorine. If you plan to switch to a salt water chlorine generator (SWG), add a Taylor k-1766 salt test kit. Take a look at the bundles or TF-Pro kits for the best value.

Best wishes!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I agree, if you can get your hands on a speed stir it makes pool testing a breeze. :stirpot: