New to SLAM - First test is here

rmasonjr

Jan 31, 2014
Brookhaven, MS
So, I got started on my pool *before* finding out about SLAM, so my readings appear a little out of whack.
I had already put in 10g of liquid chlorine from Wal-Mart the week before.
I ordered a Taylor K2006 and did my first complete test last night - here's what I had:

FC 2.2
CC 0
pH 7.0
TA 40
CH 60
CYA <30
SWG=OFF

Since my CYA is non-existent, I dont know what my target/shock FC should be.
My pool is not green at all. I suspect the original 10g of chlorine did the job.
I can see to the bottom in the shallow end and can just barely make out the drain in the deep end.
This morning, I added 2gal of liquid chlorine just to keep the FC level up.
I'm especially worried about the CYA.
I'll do another complete test tonight which will be 24h after the first test.

Any pointers?

OP
OP
R

rmasonjr

Jan 31, 2014
Brookhaven, MS
Thanks Mr Bruce - it is definitely clear all the way to the top - the black dot at the bottom of the tube never went away :(

The SWG chart doesnt list 20 as a CYA - should I still use 24 as the Shock FC target?

kcindc

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 2, 2011
Fairfax, VA
When SLAMing you shouldn't be using your SWG, so no need to refer to the SWG portion of the chart for now. Just using the top part of the chart (non-swg) when you are SLAMing.

OP
OP
R

rmasonjr

Jan 31, 2014
Brookhaven, MS
I finally got my pool to SLAM level I think - I am still unsure about my CYA levels - there are none:

FC 23
CC 0
pH 8.0
TA 60
CH 50
CYA <30
SWG=OFF

Where in the SLAM process do you add CYA?

pabeader

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
May 14, 2015
Cartersville Ga
If you are sure about the CYA being low you can use pool math to find out how much you need to get to 30. Put it in a sock and hang it in front of a return. Give it a squeeze or two whenever you think about it. It can take a little while to dissolve. Once it's all gone wait a day and try the test again.
Of course, continue the SLAM as you have been. Adjust FC target as CYA changes.

kcindc

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 2, 2011
Fairfax, VA
FYI, the CYA test is light and temperature sensitive. The water needs to be room temp. The test needs to be performed outside in the sunshine with your back to the sun while holding the vial at waist level. You can pour the sample back and forth if you are unsure.