New to Pools

etho77

Apr 24, 2017
Australia
Hi All,

we we have just moved into our new home (Melbourne, Australia) and we now have a pool to maintain!
currently the pool has not been maintained for about the last 4 weeks, so I have started by cleaning out all leaves etc... and running the creepy crawly.

Should I run the filter by itself with the creepy crawly disconnected? If so do I just unplug the creepy crawly from the skimmer box or do I remove the whole adaptor plate that the crawly connects to which would leave the skimmer basket visible when the access lid is off.

The pool is currently green but doesn't appear too bad.
The SWG is indicating a low reading code (salt level unknown)

I purchaesd a Taylor K2006C test kit and performed a couple of tests today and found the following:

PH was above 8, 5 drops of R005 brought it down
CYA - 32
FC - 1.5

Do I need to SLAM? Or should I look at lowering the PH? And then SLAM? Or will this not be required.
I have some Dry Acid but am unsure on quantities to add.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

First, Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. A review of the principles we teach will be helpful.

Next, lower your pH down to around 7.5 Keep it in the 7's.....never higher.

Now, SLAM your pool. Follow the SLAM article to the letter and your pool will be crystal clear.

Joel, welcome! :wave: We have many members from down under who can also give you some great pointers on specific locations to get supplies like muriatic acid if you chose to use it to lower pH. Having the K-2006C test kit is a great start. :goodjob: Since you are going to SLAM, you could lower the pH even a little further (7.2-7.4) as a SLAM takes several days to perhaps a week or more to complete, so it may be a while before you test pH again. You may know this already, but you can turn the SWG down during the SLAM since typically bleach is the preferred weapon of choice to maintain that elevated FC level - in your case "12". Remember, for FC testing, simply do the following:
10 ML water sample with one heaping scoop of powder and mix. Count drops until clear and divide by 2. Example: 24 drops = FC of 12.
Stick to the instructions on the SLAM page (link below) and you'll do fine. Good luck! Hope that helps.

Welcome to TFP etho77!

You've already been given great advice so I just thought that I would offer some local knowledge if you need it.

Firstly let me say you've already made a great decision ordering the K-2006C- it's a fantastic test kit and well worth the $$$. It's one of the prerequisites for the SLAM.

When you've used up that dry acid, the next time your at Bunnings or your local pool shop buy some Hydrochloric acid instead- it's cheaper for a start but much easier to use and better for your pool.

Thanks Jezza,
my PH 8 tonight, so I have added the remaining dry acid and will drop past Bunnings tomorrow and pick up some Hydrochloric Acid.
I just looked it up and the brand Bondall is listed under cement products, is this the right product to use? Or should I visit the pool shop?

Is is the Hydro Chlor liquid chlorine from Bunnings ok to use for the SLAM?

Yep the Bondall brand is the one to go for if you go to Bunnings. Worth checking out your local pool store as well to see if they sell HCL-sometimes it can be cheaper. They should be more less the same irrespective of brand.

The Hychlor liquid chlorine brand is fine (12.5% chlorine) and the good thing about Bunnings is they tend the turn the stock over quickly as it's strength does reduce fairly quickly. Once again worth checking out your local pool store for comparative pricing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so PH is down to 7.3
CYA is 1ppm - typo CYA is 50
FC 1ppm
CC 0

based on this my unsdstanding is that I should shock to FC of 20, is this correct?
I have addd 12 litres of liquid chlorine and have the pump, and solar pump running

No worries mate. Keep that FC level of 20 up as much as possible and test as often as you can (ideally at least 3-4 times a day).

Monitor your pump pressure and backwash when it rises around 20-25% from the clean pressure. And brush, brush, brush!!

Also take photos each day looking down the steps and see the change. :)

I ok so I ran the pump overnight and then the power was off all day.
Pool is looking slightly better.

CYA 40
FC 17.5
CC 0

I have back washed the sand filter and am in the process of topping up with tank water and have also added 2 litres of chlorine and have the pump running again.

At least you seem to be retaining some FC, so that's good. Continue with the SLAM but be careful to not overshoot your SLAM FC shock level of "16" based on your current CYA. Continue with the consistent brushing, sweeping, etc and the water should continue to improve. Have a great day.

Adding salt all depends upon your current/recommended salt level. Numerous backwashes "may" have effected your salt level. So yes, a salt kit would be recommended. There are test strips, but many really like the accuracy of the 1766 drop test kit which is available on TFTestkits.com if you can get those on-line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.