new to pools, which system is right for me?

Apr 30, 2018
BUXTON MAINE
I've never had a pool before so this is all new to me :smile: I am not 100% certain it is something I want to do because it seems like it is a lot of work and money, but my kids really want a pool and I teach aqua zumba, so it would be nice to have the option of having classes at my home. My friend gave me an above ground pool that is 24x48 and there is no filter or pump. I don't really want too use a regular chlorine system, but I am not sure which is the right system for me. I am considering a salt water system, but I am not sure where to start. i've been looking up various systems online, but it is just all so overwhelming!

Hello and welcome you found the right place for answers. A couple things i know will help you get answers are how deep pool is / budget/ where you are going to put it/ Then if you decide to move forward a lot of people will be here watching/ waiting for pics. and you will need a good test kit like the TF100 from TFTestkits.net . Hope you and you kids get the pool going. As for system i just went to salt I LOVE IT ! it is a cost up front but will help make taking care of pool easier imo.

again welcome ask all the ?s you need too.

thanks! hmm. weird, I made a signature which had the pool details in it, I wonder what happened to it as it isn't showing up! so sorry about that. the pool is 24 round by 48" high above ground. I'm not sure as where to put it, we have lots of places where we could set it up. the budget isn't very big, so I know that really puts a damper on the options. but, I wonder if things can be DIY'd. I know for a solar system for example, to get one it is very expensive but you can buy panels cheap on ebay and DIY it.. can things be done like this with salt water systems? also, have you heard of the SoftSwim system? Is it any good?

I did the install for my swg . i have been in construction my whole life i was a little worried as my pool was only 1 year old and did not want to call my pb and tell him i messed something up. It went fine i dont think you will hear any good thing about softswim systems here . i hope you get enough help here for diy installs i know i did.

i would start with looking at a 2 speed pump or variable not a 1 speed a good filter lots of info here on these just type in your search in the box at the top right you will find lots of post on equip. with those two things you can keep your pool perfect with just liquid chlorine/ cya/ and MA then start upgrades as you can afford remember we like pics start to finish :cool:

Don't be turned off by a 'regular' clorine system, your just used to miss managed pools.

I have a intex 24' pool and it required about 1.5 gallons of $2.67 bleach a week last year, I brushed about 3 days or less a week.

Only buy intex stuff used and on the cheap as it is cheap stuff, still good but cheap. Try to find a 1 hp two speed or 1/2 how single, the 1 hp two speed is better for manual vacuuming. Your sand filter needs to be around 21", bigger is better. The worst thing about a pool to me is startup cost, managing is easy peasy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.