New to pools trying to gain insight to SWG install

bchristex

Silver Supporter
May 15, 2020
Draper Utah
I am a new pool owner. My pool was plastered and filled on April 22 and I just trusted the PB to know what was best. I have been lurking here for a month and have read the pool school articles and even retained a small portion. Feeling a bit overwhelmed and wishing I had come to some understanding before the build. I am contemplating installing a SWG and with all Pentair equipment I am looking at the Intellichlor IC60. If you look at my picture I am wondering can I rotate the filter around 180 degrees so I can move it a bit closer to the pump. The PVC lines would be more of a straight shot (not sure if that matters) and I could get rid of the Nature 2. I read here pretty much I should get rid of that and the manufacturer says not to use on pools more that 25k gallons. That would also give me more room to install the IC60. I have done several sprinkler systems so I have worked with PVC (never 2 inch though) but feel comfortable except with the connectors from the pipe to heater and filter. Are they reusable or would I need to get new ones ? I have very much appreciated the information I have gotten from reading these forums and I know I have many more questions. Thank you in advance 20200516_091222.jpg

You can put your equipment and plumbing pretty much any way you like. Bends and angles don't make as much difference as you'd think. The issue I see with your setup is the IC60 should be the last thing before the pool and you don't have a lot of space to put it in. As-is you would probably need to do a vertical installation. If you do change your plumbing around, I would add some unions. Also those ball valves are not great long term. Do you have any automation? If you are up to re-plumb removing all of those ball valves and replacing them with Jandy NeverLubes is the way to go. For sure yes, lose the Nature2!

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking if I spun the filter around and ran the PVC to the other side it would give me an extra foot to come out from the heater. I would then do a vertical install. If I were to replace the ball valves is there any harm in raising the manifold 6 inches or so? The connection from the heater would have to be changed anyway to accommodate the iintellichlor it would just be higher. Also if I decide to do automation would the Pentair valves be preferred with the Pentair equipment? Do you know how many valves the EasyTouch 8 could control? Thanks

Either or on the valves however I see most systems with Jandy valves no matter what the brand of the rest of the equipment. They are the gold standard.

You can raise your manifold. The only thing on the plumbing that can't be changed is the heater location since the gas line is already run. Everything else is ok.

I am not sure about EasyTouch 8 I would think it would do at least 4 automated valves. I'm sure someone will chime in on that.

Tex,

Welcome to TFP! You're in the right place to get the straight before you start spending $. We offer great advice from our experts and pool enthusiasts that just like to help folks like you. Here are some tips and comments for you:
  • Too bad about your chlorinator. But not unusual. Before you buy anything else post your plans here and you'll get a lot great advice here. Many agree on equipment decisions and also sometimes there's not full agreement mostly due to personal preferences. You'll have your preferences too and that's the way it should be. But at least you won't get advice here that's driven by what we sell because we don't sell anything.
  • Most major suppliers limit warranty severely for DIY. Jandy is the worst as they cut it to zero except on their valves. For many items this doesn't matter much since if they're going to fail due to manufacturing defect they will usually do so within the shortened warranty period. This is not the case for VS pump motor and SWG cells. So either do a 3rd party brand that does not penalize or get a major brand with professional installation with full warranty.
  • All of the majors make good automation equipment. I prefer Pentair but it's more of a personal preference. Pentair automation works better with Pentair equipment. In some cases this doesn't matter much such as the valve actuators, but for some items such as the VS pump it does make full control easier.
  • The IC 60 is the right size for your pool. If you go DIY consider a 3rd party brand such as Circupool or Auto Pilot to get the full warranty. When you evaluate the options look for $/lb chlorine production, warranty, reviews and reputation here. Look at actual chlorine output not "recommended pool size" since some brands fudge this. Go to Discount Salt Pool's website for details on many brands to save some of the leg work. Prices and sales vary so do check around.
  • You have a big pool and it would make sense you might want to add a lot of "toys" that you'd want to add control for. Consider the Pentair Intellicenter series. It costs more but it has a modular design and features you can't find elsewhere. Easy Touch also works great for many, many people.
  • If you haven't worked a lot with large PVC use this tip I got from a pro. Keep a bucket of soapy water available and apply it with a rag to pieces to help fit them up fully or at least closer than you can get with dry pipe. When you get everything square mark each on along the edge of the outside and add a hash mark perpendicular to the outside piece. Do this with a pencil only not a magic marker or pen. When you glue insert to the line then line up the hash mark. Then hold 'till it sets. Do this for each fitting and it will look like a pro did it. Make sure to include enough unions to do future maintenance.
I hope this is helpful and good luck!

Chris

I am trying to get confident in installing an Intellichlor I60. and wondering about my pump . I have a 2 HP Whisperflo single speed pump. I am not sure why my PB used that pump in 2020 but that is what I have. 2 questions first is it ok to use the Intellichlor with a single speed pump with I assume the 3450 rpms, (I keep reading recommendations here to run at a slower speed with a variable speed pump) and second should I replace the pump ? would that be a cost worth doing now even though I am only 2 months into it? Thanks in advance

tex,

Yes, you can use a chlorinator on high speed. The reason you read about most people running a slow speed is to reduce operating costs. If it were me I'd have no issue with the IC60. There must be thousands of them out there. I'd also switch out the pump or at least the motor for a VS. It will usually payout in less than 2 years from your electrical savings.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.