New to pool ownership, about to install Intex 15'x48" need advice

cgrjets

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Hello All,

I have been searching around to find my answers but these are what I am left with. Excited to find such a great community of helpful people. Below includes background and my plan. Most specifically I need chemical direction on how to start a brand-new pool.

Background:
I have purchased a 15’ x 48” round Intex Prism pool 26725EH 4,440 gal at 90% (seemingly the last Intex pool in stock in the SF Bay Area) and I have it in my possession. I have also purchased a Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-26679 (with a 16” sand tank and 2,650 gal/hr pump) should be delivered Monday or Tuesday this week.

Ground Prep:

See attached photos. Planning on mowing it as low as I can, racking out as much I can. The yard seems to be level grade, few bumps that I will level when I removed the grass. I will use a 9mil heavy duty tarp and the ground cover that comes with the pool. Will place 15 6”x2”x16” concrete pavers under each pole, will sink into ground and make sure all are level.

Plumbing:

I am planning on purchasing an Intex 11872, Split Hose Plunger Valve as it will connect to the 1.25” hoses that came with my pool and the 1.5” hose the pump requires. Does this sound right?

I believe I need an Intex 10722, Adapter B for the output to the pool?

I have read and watched youtube videos on cutting the pool and upgrading the system to 1.5” hose or hard pvc. I am open to this down the road but trips to the hardware store are hard with the shelter in place order so I am more interested in getting the pool up and running at this point.

Chemicals:

How to start a brand-new pool? What I think I know so far…

Will have test kit
Add 120 lb #20 Sand to filter housing
Initially shock the water with 1 gal of bleach (chemical engineer buddy said this would give me 10 ppm to start)
Add some amount of stabilizer (CYA) (Pool Time Chlorine Stabilizer 5 lbs. Balancer from Home Depot) How much?
Add 110lbs of Salt
I will have Muriatic Acid to keep pH down
Will I need baking soda?
Missing anything?

Attachments

• Pool Location.jpg
    Pool Location.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Pool Placement.png
    Pool Placement.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 19
You don't need to shock a newly filled pool. You would shock, or actually perform a slam, if you have something, like algae, growing in your pool. Go to pool math (at the bottom of the page or click on the three lines on the upper left of the site) and plug in your numbers. You'll add a small amount of liquid chlorine or plain bleach to get started. I have a 15 foot round, 42" deep, and I think I added 1/2 cup of liquid chlorine. Pool math will also tell you how much stabilizer to add. For a pool with an swg, you'll want cya of 70 and FC 5. Read through pool school, especially the ABC of water chemistry. It explains a lot.

Plumbing ?'s I have no idea. I cut out my pool return and one inlet and plugged the other inlet. Hopefully someone else with knowledge of the adapters will be along.

The most important part of the pool install is making sure the ground is level. Even if it looks level, I'd check it with an actual level. I throw this out there from experience :)

Congratulations on your new project!!

i got rid of my Intex plumbing before i ever put up my pool. i understand what your talking about with this crazy shelter in place, but to just get it up and running it sounds like you are in the right direction. LEVEL, LEVEL, LEVEL the ground.
The acid, it is nice to have on hand, just in case your pH shoots up, the baking soda, i think i have used it twice in 3 years

Are you me?! I got the exact same pool at the end of summer clearance and I also bought the same pump. I recently bought the "INTEX 1.25" to 1.5" Type B Hose Adapters for Pumps & Saltwater System | Set of 2" on amazon for $12. I'm pretty sure that is the one we need, but I can confirm when it arrives. This guy has a video with a similar pool (it's not the prism model, but it is 15' x 48").

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.