New Test Kit

The cylinders supplied with the TF-100 will work just fine in the speedstir.

If you get black stains in the inside of the cylinders (any of them) they will clean up very nicely with a 3:1 mixture of muriatic acid. Straight vinegar may work also, but I haven't tried it. :lol:

The pill vial cylinders work fine with the speedstir.

I bought extra stirbars off ebay, so I'm set. I have a dedicated chlorine vial, one for TA, one for CH, the CYA mixing bottle also works on the speedstir, so I can run all my tests back to back, then do all the dishes at once.

When I attempt to do the Calcium Hardness test, I add 20 drops of R-0010 and mix. Then I add 5 drops of R-0011L and mix. I do not get any red color. A month or so ago I use to get red and during the past few months the red color trended less and less to now where there is no pink color at all. I thought calcium would not go away and the only way to lower calcium was to change water. I have not change water for many months. What is going on? What do I need to do? Could my R-0011L reagent be bad?

pH = 8.2
FC = .5
CC = 0
T/A = 80
CH = ??
CYA = 40
Temp = 61F

Tap water CH = 140

My CH test was doing the exact same thing as Fredo's test. The pink started to get less and less bright when the 11L was added. I bought my test kit about 8 months ago and kept it stored in the original shipping box inside my pantry. I haven't had any problems with any of the other tests. I just received my 3 new CH tests agents on Friday and the pink was bright right away. I don't know why the 11L test went bad so quickly, but I did confirm that it was bad as the old 11L would not turn the test pink. I just tossed out the old stuff.

As described by Taylor for a compromised reagent, was the R-0011L a deep blue (blue/purple) color for the drops coming out of the bottle? If the color of the reagent is faded even before getting into the water, then that is a compromised reagent. Or did the drops change from colored to clear when added to your pool water sample? Does the test work correctly with tap water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my case, the old R-0011L still had a deep blue/purple color but, when I compared it to the new R-0011L it wasn't quite as dark as the new reagent. It was close to the same color but the old reagent was definitely lighter. If I didn't have the new reagent to compare them side by side I would have never said the old reagent was compromised by the color alone. Since the new R-0011L works and the old R-0011L doesn't it must have gone bad some how.

OK thanks. It's too bad that it's not more obvious but at least we now know that if you get weaker color when adding it to water or no color at all that it's the reagent that has gone bad. You should call Taylor Technologies and give them the lot number on the bottle for the reagent that went bad so quickly.

I have been watching this thread, too. Ping and Fredo, I assume you got that from TFtestkits. If you will PM me, we'll take care of your reagent. I have a call in to Taylor to discuss this with them but haven't heard anything back just yet.

I have some of the R-0011L that is almost three years old and still performs fine. One other customer reported a similar problem and his was received in February so we wonder if freezing could have weakened it. I just don't know enough about it right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.