New SWG questions

Jun 12, 2016
Trumann, AR
This year I am converting my pool to a saltwater pool! I have a smaller pool, it's the Summerwaves Elite 14'x42" metal frame pool.

I purchased a new Sand Filter (Summerwaves 10" sand filter) and the Summerwaves Salt Water System.

My pool is around 3,500 gallons so following the directions I added around 88lbs of salt. Now I'm letting it dissolve today and tonight before turning on the system (although is it possible to turn it on sooner?)

I was looking at the Pool Math app and under the pool settings it wants to know the 24hr SWG Chlorine Output. How do I calculate this? I don't see it anywhere in the manual.

Also, according to the manual, the auto mode has a timer for 10 hours but if I turn it to boost it will run for 6 hours. Is it okay to always run it on boost mode? I ask because my sand pump should turnover my pool once every 3 hours and I was going to run it for 6 hours per day. This would work perfectly with the SWG on boost mode.

My last question for now is should I rely on the SWG to tell me when the salt is low (it has an indicator) or do I need a test?

Thanks in advance!

What size pool in gallons is your SWG rated for. There should be something in the manual or on the manufacturer's site that shows how many pounds of chlorine gas produced per day (i.e. 1.35 lbs. per day).

Before you determine how long and at what percentage to run the SWG, you need to know the rating of the SWG. The SWG should only be powered on when the pump is running.

You should not rely on the pump's readout for salt levels. Get a Taylor k-1766 salt test.

Thanks for your help! I think I will start off running it for 6 hours on boost and check the chlorine tomorrow. According to the chart you mentioned, I need a much higher CYA than what the manual recommends for the saltwater system. It recommended 14oz of stabilizer to bring it to 30ppm.

It usually takes a day or two for the salt to fully dissolve. This is a good time to head for a CYA reading of 70, it takes a bit of time for solid to dissolve. Also boost your FC to 5 with normal bleach.
I wouldn't run the cell on boost, it should provide enough FC just running normal for 2-3 hours per day, depending on usage and debris. I have read that a longer runtime with a lower output keeps the cells working for a lot longer.

Reactions: collinsj102
You mentioned you use the Pool Math app...enter the amount of CL produced per day in ounces (for you, 4.6 ounces per day). I don;t use the app, so not sure where to take it from there.

In a pool your size, running the pump 24 hours at 100% will raise your FC by 9.8 ppm. That's about 0.41 lbs per hour. Running for 6 hours will raise your FC by about 2.5 ppm. Most pools during summer will burn between 2-4 ppm FC per day.

I'm not sure about running your SWG on boost. I've heard this is not advisable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you know how much FC your pool is consuming now (in ppm)? 2-3 hours a day may not be long enough at %100. For a SWG pool, you want your CYA at 60-80 ppm. With a CYA of 60, your target FC target is 4 ppm. Never let it dip below 3 ppm. For now, use liquid bleach to get FC to 4. Then use your SWG to maintain daily levels.

I ran my saltwater system for 10 hours yesterday and left it off overnight. This morning my FC was at 1ppm and according to Pool Math I need to run my saltwater system for 10 hours at 0.29lbs of chlorine output per day to get to 5ppm. Does this sound reasonable?

I haven't got it yet so I'm testing with an HTH liquid test. The water is blue and clear. There's not an option to adjust the output on the saltwater system other than setting it to Boost. It has a built in timer on the regular mode for 10 hours and 6 hours on Boost.

You won't be able to get an accurate FC reading with your current kit. For now, add about 3 cups of 6% liquid chlorine per day to raise FC by 3 ppm until you get your kit. Just looking at the figures above, 6 hours of SWG runtime at 100% may be enough.

Your SWG should only be powered on when the pump is running. There should be a way to connect your SWG to a timer so you can dial in the run time on your SWG. How to do that depends on how your wiring is configured.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.