Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
Hi everyone,

Took the plunge and purchased an Edge 40 and super excited for pool season. I am planning my install and have a few questions.

I have an AG 27' pool and my pump/filter is sitting on a few pavers next to the pool. Electric is ran to the pad also. About 15' away is where the electric comes out of my house and is under an overhang of the house. My brilliant idea is to put the SWG control unit on the house (so it is out of the elements) and run the wires in conduit for about 15' to get to my pad with the pump.

I know the electric will not be an issue to extend but the question mark are the control wires for cell and flow sensor.

So has anyone ever cut the control wires to the cell and flow sensor and extended them?

Also does anyone know how to wire the power from the control unit to the pump switch? I do not have a timer and would like to wire right into the rocker switch of pump - it is 2 speed and I normally keep on low speed unless I'm vacuuming.

Let me know if you have questions and thank you!

Yes.. that has been discussed before. In this thread they made an extension for a Hayward T-Cell so the original cable would remain intact in case there was a warranty claim. Perhaps you could do the same.

Here's an alternate idea, that would ultimately be simpler (though admittedly more work), and considerably safer. You should move everything to the house, and run two pipes from there to the pool. You can plumb and wire all the equipment together by the house, including the SWG controller, along with whatever else you've got. That would consolodate all your equipment in one place, and remove the not inconequential electrical hazard from the area near the pool. If you're feeling even more ambitious, you can put everything on a nice concrete pad (that is not hard to create DIY), and end up with a very professional setup. That would also eliminate all the questionable wiring you're about to attempt.

You could eventually add some visual screening (walls of some sort) and soundproofing around the pad, so you wouldn't have to look at all that junk, or hear it as much either. Hiding all that stuff will make your pool look nicer, too.

Sorry, just projecting. That's how I'd want to do it.

Last edited:
Here's a thread by a guy that did something similar to what I suggested:

Yes.. that has been discussed before. In this thread they made an extension for a Hayward T-Cell so the original cable would remain intact in case there was a warranty claim. Perhaps you could do the same.

Here's a thread by a guy that did something similar to what I suggested:

I thought about doing that but yeah, more work. I guess I don't really have any projects this year since the pool is done. 😀 trying to think of any downfalls to putting equipment right up to the side of my house. Salt cell explodes and blows a hole in the side of the house? Pump catches on fire and burns my house down? I am trying to remember if that violates electrical code having it that close to house.

It would look better though and solve my problem.

That might do the trick. I will have to measure everything out and see what length comes with it. Thanks - after I posted that I was thinking they might have that but in typical Millenial fashion - I wanted someone else to do the work! 🤔 😀
Hey that's why you ask the hive mind! :wink: I had a vague recollection that the Edge SWG's have a connector at the flow switch and the cell. So I thought.. lets see if they made it that way for an extension cord.. and apparently they did. You'll need one for the flow switch and the cell since they have separate cables and both will likely need to be extended. I don't know what they look like, but I would think they are the same.

A lot of people with AGPs have their electrical near the pool, you just need to protect it from splash. Moving the pumps and filters further from the pool will add some loss to your pressure depending on the distance. Just sayin'

Moving the pumps and filters further from the pool will add some loss to your pressure depending on the distance. Just sayin'
We can check with @JamesW, but even if the distance was 100' you'd have minimal loss.

I thought about doing that but yeah, more work. I guess I don't really have any projects this year since the pool is done. 😀 trying to think of any downfalls to putting equipment right up to the side of my house. Salt cell explodes and blows a hole in the side of the house? Pump catches on fire and burns my house down? I am trying to remember if that violates electrical code having it that close to house.
You can check with the local planning dept about the code. Though that might trigger a permit and inspection, so be aware of that. I wouldn't try to talk you out of doing everything up and up with the local codes, it's just that some municipalities see simple projects like these as money grabs. I digress.

I can't say what the percentage is, but I wanna say the majority of pool pads are right up against the house. Mine is. They're close and convenient and near all the utilities most of the time, simplifying hook up. If you were going to run a pump on high speed, or only had a single speed, you might hear it inside the house. That would be the only negative I could muster up. You won't hear a VS, unless you run it on high. They're so quiet you sometimes need to get your ear up close to even know they're on.

If you wire your SWG with the proper safeties (perhaps that's the next conversation), it won't explode. If you don't try to cook your breakfast on your pump housing, it won't catch on fire! ;)

It would look better though and solve my problem.
It would.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as the pipe is sized correctly, the distance does not make any difference.

We need to know the maximum flow rate and the total distance.
Not sure of the flow rate. It is a Hayward 2 speed pump 1.5 HP. https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/PowerFloMatrix-ISSP1591.pdf

Didn't see that info listed. I am planning to use 2" pipe and it's about 35' from where pump would be.

Does it matter if the pipes run down hill or uphill? Just curious as the whole area in the yard slopes differently.

What is the height difference between the pool and were you want the equipment pad?
Not anything crazy. Maybe a foot higher than skimmer but I could probably level it out underground. Just not sure if that would affect the flow.

I would go with a 1 hp two-speed and 2" pipe.

If you go with a 1.5 hp, I would use (2) 2" pipes.

I already have pump - bought it with the pool last year. Wouldn't I be using 2 pipes anyway? 1 for in flow and 1 out. Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying? Everything is plumbed with 1.5" now but I was going to switch to 2" since SWG is 2" and I think I can reuse all my Jandy valves at 2".

Not anything crazy. Maybe a foot higher than skimmer but I could probably level it out underground. Just not sure if that would affect the flow.
Then you are not going to affect the head pressure with a big height difference between the two.. if it was more than 3ft then I think you need to take that into consideration.

There is a lot less pressure loss with 2" pipe for your run to the equipment pad. even if there are constrictions in the line at the jets. I'm guessing it would be a 15 to 20 foot run?

Then you are not going to affect the head pressure with a big height difference between the two.. if it was more than 3ft then I think you need to take that into consideration.

There is a lot less pressure loss with 2" pipe for your run to the equipment pad. even if there are constrictions in the line at the jets. I'm guessing it would be a 15 to 20 foot run?

I gave it the old foot measurement of 30 steps from skimmer to the wall of the house. So probably more like 30'

Like the solar heater on my roof, gravity works for and against. The water running down pulls the water flowing up. They mostly cancel each other out. Friction is the enemy, not gravity. Head loss from gravity comes into play when you're only pumping uphill, like when you use a sump pump in the deep end to drain a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.