New SWCG reads salt level high and is turning off

Dtkokay

Dec 31, 2019
Houston, Texas
My new plaster pool is past the 30 day curing period, so I added salt to 3200 ppm using the Taylor salt test kit, and then turned on my Jandy Aquapure SWCG.

The issue I'm having is that the salt generation keeps turning off and on every few seconds. It will oscillate between 70% (where I set it) and 0% constantly, beeping every time. The SWCG is reading the salt level at 3800 ppm, well above the 3200 I got using the Taylor kit.

I contacted my pool builder, and they said that the salt level is too high, which is causing the unit to stop generating chlorine intermittently. They said I need to drain some water to get the salt level down to 3400. I trust the Taylor kit more than the built in sensor, so I think that'll drop the actual salt level to 2800.

Jandy recommends 3000 to 3500, with 2000 being the minimum. 2800 isn't much below that, so seems like that should be okay.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? I suppose I could drain some water but that seems like a wasteful solution, particularly when I'm relying on a sensor that I don't think is particularly accurate. I researched and cannot find a way to calibrate the salt sensor on the Aquapure.

Press the “Salinity” button and hold it until it beeps 3 times. The system will beep when you push it and then at 5 seconds and again at 10 seconds. Release the button after the 3rd beep.

• Press and release the “Temperature “ button within 5 seconds to enter the salinity calibration screen.

• The system will display the salinity reading, press the up arrow to increase the reading and the down arrow to decrease the reading.

• When the proper reading is reached press the “Temperature” button within 5 seconds to store it in memory.

Reactions: Dtkokay
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.