new sand filter pump and SWG creates electricity problems, more headaches

Jun 19, 2017
Siloam Springs, Ar
ok, here i am again and thank you all for letting me use you and this site for my "GO TO" with all my issues and problems. i have the new intex and sand pump filter up and running, but my plug in receptacle wont handle both. ive been reading on here and i guess im just too old, too blonde, too inexperienced in electric, and too much woman to understand most of this talk. i think i may needto do something different, but unsure. got this new pool and sand pump going, put in salt last night, put in sya/ stabelizer today and tonight turned on the SWG and the gfi plug wouldnt light up. at first i thought it was automatically tripping it because on sand filter and SWG were plugged into same receptacle, its the only one i have. BUT now i am wondering for sure if that is the problem. SWG gfi plug wont light up when i plug it in the house. could my SWG be bad? it was fine when i put it up last year. help me please. i couldnt do alot today because of rain again all day. thankful i have clorine. My PH is 7.2 and clorine is 1.5. the salt registered 6, im not looking at the numbers it translates to, but i think maybe around 2600-2800. i have more salt to add tomorrow if i can. more rain all day predicted. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. you guys and gals are so awesome.

You say its rainy- the cord head probably got wet & needs to dry out. Is the receptacle you have it plugged into a gfci? Is it tripping (the button popping out)? As far as i know there’s not a light on the cord just buttons.
for what it’s worth @ gfci plugged into another gfci will trip with the slightest bit of moisture.
also don’t add more salt - around 2800 is the max the newer intex swg’s like or else it throws high salt alarms & you’ll be draining h20.
Until u get it sorted out add liquid chlorine daily as per the FC/CYA Levelsso u don’t run into other issues

Reactions: charliej
thanks so much for quick response. i really appreciate it.
first thing, i have learned about how touchy these are with any moisture at all, so i always keep them covered. they hadnt gotten wet, so that base is covered.
second thing, my gfci plugs have a small light you cant see when it lights up red. when it trips, it usually is on. right above the buttons. the buttons cant be popped out no matter which one you push. first try it tripped both cords. now, after what you said, im thinking that was problem, not working well together.i read another post saying i could cut the SWG cord off and replace with a regular one. do you agree? if so, they will still be plugged in to a recepticle that has a GFCI on it.
next thing, thanks for salt advise. i was thinking i need it at 3000 for some reason. i am keeping the clorine in, like you said, i dont need other problems!
so lastly, you think it is normally ok to plug a SWG and a sand filter pump of this caliber into the same recepticle? just not two GFCI plugs?
thanks so much for your help.

I did cut the gfci head off my cord & put another cord cap on mine as they wouldn’t fit inside my covered gfci together . It is fine as long as you have it plugged into a gfci with an “in use” cover as the cord caps don’t seal as well as the ones from the factory.

not sure if im doing this update corretly, but someone tell me if im not. the update on this is that it was the gfci box thing on the end of the SWG cord. i had an electrician friend cut it off. put a new three prong plug on it and WALL-AHH...it works. maybe no more adding clorine until we have issues. thank you all for you awesomeness and quick replies. i am pleased i dont have to buy a new SWG. happy grannie!
now, i just need to find mmy post with the reccomendations for the intex pool cleaner and which hayward wall skimmer to install, i will be a really happy grannie when i have them in hand.

I have that cleaner & it should fit the return u already have / otherwise u can rig it with some pvc fittings like i did to fit my above ground pool FF84B1BD-C3AD-411B-924B-492FF234CA46.jpeg

Reactions: charliej

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.