Tuscumbia Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Pool Newbie so I am trying to learn the ins and outs. Pool was completed in mid November and builder said he would add salt in the spring. A couple of initial questions since I already have a algae problem. No chemicals have been added yet and I have a variable speed pump running low rpm from 6p to 6a and about 1400 rpm from 6a to 6p. Question 1: Should I go ahead and add salt? Question 2: I have no CYA count since nothing has been added, so should I add some for the winter months. Question 3: Since Im already having a bad algae problem I was gonna do a slam, is

Attachments

• pool 1.jpg
    pool 1.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 10
  • pool 2.jpg
    pool 2.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Yes, you'll want to follow the SLAM Process. Add stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30. Once the stabilizer is added via the sock method, verify the pH is lowered to about 7.2, then increase the FC to 12 and do your best to keep it there while following all of the notes on the SLAM Process page. That should so the trick. Don't bother adding salt until the spring when the water warms up again. SWGs usually stop working when the water temp is below 60 anyways.

Also be sure to save the link below as it is a great one-stop source for all your pool needs.

Hey raycox and Welcome !! First things first before anything else, you need a reliable test kit. If you don’t already have one, pick up a TF-100 from tftestkits.net. There are cheaper kits available but they are smaller and you’ll blow through the supplies quickly as a beginner. The XL option on the TF-100 will give you lots to learn with and when you slam you will be testing more than usual also.

Pat has you well covered with the rest above which he snuck in while I was typing.

Once it’s balanced the SLAM should be much easier because the algae should be dormant by now and it’s much easier to kill when it isn’t growing exponentially at the same time.

Also when you have a minute, fill out your signature in your profile. It will help everyone answer future questions without then needing to ask you questions first. Check out anybody else’s for an idea of what to put. If you’re on mobile they don’t come up at the bottom of the post unless you turn the phone sideways.

Hey raycox and Welcome !! First things first before anything else, you need a reliable test kit. If you don’t already have one, pick up a TF-100 from tftestkits.net. There are cheaper kits available but they are smaller and you’ll blow through the supplies quickly as a beginner. The XL option on the TF-100 will give you lots to learn with and when you slam you will be testing more than usual also.

Pat has you well covered with the rest above which he snuck in while I was typing.

Once it’s balanced the SLAM should be much easier because the algae should be dormant by now and it’s much easier to kill when it isn’t growing exponentially at the same time.

Also when you have a minute, fill out your signature in your profile. It will help everyone answer future questions without then needing to ask you questions first. Check out anybody else’s for an idea of what to put. If you’re on mobile they don’t come up at the bottom of the post unless you turn the phone sideways.

Ok, Thanks for the reply. I just ordered the TF-100 test kit and will add to my signature when I get back home from working out of town so I can see what equipment I have..