New Pump Suggestion?

HiddenRiver

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 15, 2017
East Coventry, PA
Our pump quit yesterday. I will see if it is just the capacitor, but if it is not (probably 25 years old) are there suggestions for a good solid pump? The current one is so rusted I cant see what the make is. I have only one skimmer working but it is adequate in keeping the chemistry right and everything filtered. THe filter is really old too. No other waterfalls or features that need the pump.

Would love suggestions and wonder if we purchased the pump ourselves if it is difficult to replace? Is it just a matter of unscrewing and re screwing in?

40,400 gallons, 24 x 40, gunnite, DE Hayward Filter, 1.5 HP single speed pump---old everything but tile and coping, Chester County, PA

Just got the quote from PS, $799 for a Pentair Superflo and $395 to install. Amazon has the same pump for $699. Are these pumps difficult to install? Non mechanical but not helpless, we are. Thoughts on doing it ourselves?

If there are unions for the plumbing, then the install could be done. The only issue you could run into is that the new pump is not the same size, the intake and return are slightly off, which would cause modification. The wiring should not be that difficult either. Before, taking anything apart, takes notes and pictures. Unfortunately, the cost of living in this country is high, so a small business has to survive. The rate you were quoted is normal.

Luckily, I have not had to change my pump (going on 4 years), but I replaced a B&G pump, for the heating system in the house, plumbing and the sizing was exactly the same. The manufacturer does this to keep customers happy. On a different subject, but achievable. If I had to cut and solder, that would be a different story. Same concept outside.

If you can take some pictures and send over, that would be great.

f5dce63d09485c59d8eef70d30d87eaf.jpg
3fa05cb2bb511914617952305a83db09.jpg

See if these photos work to understand better?

I can see that you have a union on the back of the pump from this picture, but can not tell up front. As I mentioned previously, there may have to be some slight modifications on your end. If you are handy with cutting PVC and working with primer and glue, this is achievable. Hard to tell from the pictures. You could research the new pump to determine size, location of intake, return, etc. Considering the pump is 25 years old, I believe there will be some modifications.

Ok, that is enough for me to know I don't want to deal with it. Pentair made it sound like we could just "drop it in", sounds like modifications could be possible. I am wondering if needing to replace the filter is not too far behind....hoping and praying the pipes and such under the concrete are OK! Thank you so much for your words of wisdom--so appreciated!

At least you can save a lot of money each pool season by being a member of TFP. I am currently adding a SWG and heat pump. By no means am I attempting this task, no matter how much $$$ I would save. The extra few dollars is not worth the aggravation. At least you will be up and running in no time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.