New pump overheats/shuts off regularly

Jul 5, 2016
Biddeford, Maine
I recently replaced the 10+ year old motor on my Hayward Super II with a new Hayward motor.

Since doing this, I've noticed that the thermal switch on the motor has been shutting it down during very hot periods in the afternoon.

This hadn't happened with the old motor, but it's been an unusually hot summer here and we've lost some shade due to tree cutting, so I'm thinking it might just be that much hotter where the pump is located (directly in the afternoon sun).

Anyway, I'm assuming (unless someone says otherwise) this is normal.

My question is though -- should I try to mitigate this situation? I tried putting up a screen to shade the pump area -- no luck. I'm thinking now I may try to enclose the pump area and blow in cooler air from my basement (the pump is next to the house -- I could put a small ventilation fan in the wall to blow cooler air into the enclosure).

Or am I wasting my time? Is the thermal switch's action sufficient to keep the motor safe?

A bit of additional info: The original motor was a 1 hp. I replaced it with a 3/4 hp because the store said that was sufficient for my pool size. I'm assuming that size difference isn't causing the motor to "work harder" and create more heat.

That 3/4 HP motor is working harder than the 1hp did trying to push a 1hp impeller so it is shutting itself off.. You will need to change the impeller out to a 3/4 hp one.. I think this is your pump... > Hayward Super II SP3000 Series Parts - INYOPools.com

You really do not want the motor getting hot enough to turn itself off, it hurts the motor every time it does it.. How much I am not sure as it is designed to shut off when it gets too hot...

If it were me I would change over to a VS pump and call it a day.. They are really hard to beat at these prices and will save MASSIVE amounts of money in the long run.. :)

Hey J !!! All of the above by Casey is GREAT info as always. I have seen firsthand that quality went to crud once all the manufacturers raced to resupply all the shortages from the Covid Backlogs and TX freeze. And then there was that ship. There have been many duds since, across all the equipment from robots to filters to pumps, reported by many members.

But you could also have a simple, unrelated issue. Check your impeller with all the power off and absolutely unable to kick on. Could just be some pine needles, sawdust from the tree removals, hair or other gunk slowing it down and making it overheat.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Hey J !!! All of the above by Casey is GREAT info as always. I have seen firsthand that quality went to crud once all the manufacturers raced to resupply all the shortages from the Covid Backlogs and TX freeze. And then there was that ship. There have been many duds since, across all the equipment from robots to filters to pumps, reported by many members.

But you could also have a simple, unrelated issue. Check your impeller with all the power off and absolutely unable to kick on. Could just be some pine needles, sawdust from the tree removals, hair or other gunk slowing it down and making it overheat.
Ah, good point. Will do.

You need to replace the impeller with a SPX3005C.

The other parts are the same.

1630705909198.png

1630706414037.png

1630706348599.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.