New Pump is Here - Basic Install Questions

OK guys, I removed the piping between the pump and filter, cleaned the threads as good as I could, reinstalled the adapter and re-piped what I needed to do. This morning I tested the system and it still leaks from the threaded adapter. I used a thin layer of dope, followed by teflon tape topped off with another layer of dope. It is possible that I did not get every bit of grit from the threads. There are also some rough spots on the threads on the pump side, maybe on 2-3 threads.

This time I installed a union at the top of the pipe between the pump and filter so I can remove the side leaving the pump. I guess the next step would be to replace the adapter. Any other suggestions? Can I run some type of caulk around the fitting? In the boating world we use 3M 4200 or 5200 for many repairs. You guys ever use it?

I plan to run it anyway so we can get our water under control, but I want to get it fixed ASAP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.