New Pump and Filter for Old Pool with Poor Circulation

logsdod

Silver Supporter
Apr 20, 2020
Columbus, OH
I'm planning to replace my pump and filter with a VSP and cartridge filter. I'm leaning toward a Waterway Power Defender 270 and Waterway 525 sq ft filter. I'm also considering a SWCG and might add a heater later on down the road. I'm not concerned about automation. I have a few questions about plumbing, pump selection, and setup.

My current setup (paint diagram below, specs in sig) has a total of 3 pipes between the pool and the pad. All of them are 1.5" and only on the deep end. The skimmer suction line is about 25" total for reference. The pressure side cleaner booster pump is long dead, so right now that line just (barely) functions as an extra return. My plan is to replace all of the pad plumbing with 2" and turn the pressure side cleaner line into a real return.
Pool Diagram.png
Do I need to be concerned, as far as pump stress and cavitation, about having a suction line that is too restrictive compared to the return lines? Are there other pumps that would be better suited than the Waterway? Do I just need to avoid running at full speed?

Do you have any suggestions for improving circulation since all of the plumbing is on one end of a fairly large pool? This year I ran the pump 24/7 and aimed the jets to get the water to rotate. My hope with the VSP is I can run it at slow speed all the time to keep the circulating going without spending a fortune on electricity. I'm less concerned about skimming because I keep a solar cover on it when not in use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.