New Pool

#40Fan

Jul 12, 2018
SE, Colorado
Recently put up a 10.7k gallon AGP and am in the process of filling it. Did a lot of reading on here and I think I have a decent grasp of things. I had previously ordered a K-2006 testing kit, but won't have it for a couple more days.

I am sure I will need to get a jump on things even though I don't have the test kit. Right now the pool is about halfway full. Reading that the CYA takes a while to dissolve, I was thinking I should go ahead and sock hang enough for 10k gallons, but only shoot for 25ppm, for now. I can get the sock right in front of the hose to help dissolve and distribute. As for the chlorine, I was thinking of just adding enough for what is in there now, ~5k gallons and add more when it has filled enough. According to the PoolMath, it looks like half a gallon of 5.7% bleach would be enough for a half fill.

Sound like a good plan? What do you suppose the loss of FC will be per day so I can keep up with it until the kit comes in? Pool is in direct sunlight for most of the day and I do have a cover for it.

I'd toss a full gallon of bleach in it, fill up a tube sock as full as you can with CYA and dangle it into the water. Every 30 minutes squeeze it several times and get the CYA out, it'll take a while to get it our but your ahead of the game.

keep playing around with pool math and keep reading.

Welcome to TFP #40fan...

Looks like you have done some reading and that a very good thing. Im not sure I have heard of 5.7% bleach? Just make sure its regular bleach (not cleaning bleach, no scents, no splash less)! Also odd number of gallons for the pool but thats just me...

FC loss will depend on a few factors that I can think of...heat/sun, CYA...

When yo get your test kit you may want to test your fill water (good practice for the real thing) plus you will know whats already there,

Keep us posted and good luck.

Here is what I found at the local Wal-Mart. There were only two different bottles that had any information on them. Both had the same percentage. This was the cheaper of the two.

Odd number, maybe, but it is what it is listed as.

My K-2006 will be here tomorrow...woo hoo, a day early. Been adding bleach everyday and even getting a swim in a couple times a day. Skimmer showed up today and got that hooked up. Vacuum hose too, so I got the little bit of dirt on the bottom sucked up. When the wife got home she was surprised at how clean it was. Just goes to show what little bit of dirt can make the pool look like.

I decided to google Pool Store to see if there were any nearby. Wow, there is one across town. Didn't even bother calling them, cause a pool store would have to have liquid chlorine. Right?

Bebop across town and walk inside. Greeted by two gentlemen that gave me the "Holy smokes, we have a customer" look. I see shelves with what looks like chemicals through a door way to my right. I make a B line towards it while asking the guys how they are doing. They both answered and right as I was passing them I said "I am looking for some liquid chlorine". Guy on the customer side of the counter says, "Sorry (I stopped walking and turned to him), we don't carry liquid, but we have some powder". Not... "don't have any in stock, we just ran out"... just "don't carry any". Bummer. Headed to the door and told them to have a good day.

I'll call around tomorrow, or maybe Monday now, to see if I can't find some in this part of the country.

My K-2006 will be here tomorrow...woo hoo, a day early. Been adding bleach everyday and even getting a swim in a couple times a day. Skimmer showed up today and got that hooked up. Vacuum hose too, so I got the little bit of dirt on the bottom sucked up. When the wife got home she was surprised at how clean it was. Just goes to show what little bit of dirt can make the pool look like.

I decided to google Pool Store to see if there were any nearby. Wow, there is one across town. Didn't even bother calling them, cause a pool store would have to have liquid chlorine. Right?

Bebop across town and walk inside. Greeted by two gentlemen that gave me the "Holy smokes, we have a customer" look. I see shelves with what looks like chemicals through a door way to my right. I make a B line towards it while asking the guys how they are doing. They both answered and right as I was passing them I said "I am looking for some liquid chlorine". Guy on the customer side of the counter says, "Sorry (I stopped walking and turned to him), we don't carry liquid, but we have some powder". Not... "don't have any in stock, we just ran out"... just "don't carry any". Bummer. Headed to the door and told them to have a good day.

I'll call around tomorrow, or maybe Monday now, to see if I can't find some in this part of the country.

All the stores around me do not cary liquid chlorine, and there are 4 close together. I just use the 6% cleaning bleach that walmart sells the cleaning bleach is the same thing and is in a gallon jug instead of the small 3.5 quart i think it is, and it is cheaper!

I couldn't find any labels at Wal-Mart that showed anything above what I bought. So I just bought the cheapest I could find. Nothing in the pool isle because there really isn't much of one. Small items like test kits, all of the pH up/down BS and test strips. Probably not too many pool people in the area to really stock anything. Glad I found the stabilizer.

I checked online for Home Depot and Lowes and neither showed anything in stock. If I am ever in the area, I'll swing in and take a look see, but doubtful.

Test showed up today.

FC 6.5
CC 0
pH 7.4
CYA 30

Didn't bother testing anything else because the wife is ready to swim!! Pulled the cover off and have it circulating to get the hot water off the top.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.