New pool trying to get levels right

Jennk2

Silver Supporter
Jul 8, 2019
Athens ny
One week in with the new pool and we are trying to get it right. We are working on getting the TA down and have made good progress, went from 290 to 180!

Right now the CYA is at 30 and we are losing between 3-4 ppm chlorine per day. Does it make sense to get the CYA up to 40 to try to prevent chlorine loss now? I was holding off thinking we would use the trichlor puck when we go away next weekend but it’s only 2 days so I think bumping up to shock chlorine level before leaving should be okay. I don’t want to have to buy trichlor for this one time.

Most recent test results from last night:
Chlorine 2 (before adding chlorine for day)
CC 0
Ph 7.2
TA 180
CYA 30

Before bumping your cya, do an OCLT to see if you are fighting a little algae.

If not, there should not be any issue raisi g your cya to 40. Summer heat usually demands a little higher cya (but stay in range for your type of pool).

I will do that tonight to double check. I did it right after getting the cya/chlorine in and it was fine but will make sure before adding more cya.

Will I be okay just boosting the chlorine early Friday am before leaving and will check and add more Sunday afternoon when we get back? It’s been so clear since we started I don’t want to risk issues.

Sounds like you have things under control. How are you adding chlorine? Liquid chlorine?

Your FC of 2 is right at the minimum for a CYA of 30. The recommended level is 4-6 at that CYA level. I would try to operate so that your FC never drops below 4. You’re way better off with too much chlorine than too little.

Loss of 3-4 ppm FC per day is pretty normal during summer time. But not a bad idea to do an OCLT.

For your long weekend trip, I would bump your FC up to 16 before you leave. Assuming you lose 4 ppm per day, you’ll have 4 ppm left at the end of Sunday. Again, better to err on the side of too much FC.

Yes I’m doing liquid chlorine and I’ve been aiming for 5-6 and add in the evening. It was 6 after I added last night so we will see what it is tonight. 2 was the lowest it has dropped to but it’s been full sun and close to 100 degrees the last couple of days here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.