New pool to be empty for (up to) 2 weeks for repairs. Risks?

MisterMcD

Silver Supporter
Sep 12, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
First post. New first time owner. Can't learn fast enough!

PB filled it our new pool in Sep. Salt startup in Oct.
I'll keep the story short and focused on my main concern.

One of the in floor cleaning lines (a "circuit" looks like what Paramount calls it) is severely restricted.
PB drained the pool last night (for this and one other problem) and troubleshot the issue this am.
There's pebble surface material in the schedule 40 causing the obstruction. So much so that the PB says they'll use an "acid stack" to clear it. I presume this means using a strong acid in the plumbing and waiting for it to do it's thing on the obstruction.

The PB is saying the pool could be empty for up to 2 weeks. Our temps are expected to be mid to high 80s with full sun over the next couple of weeks.

Also - one of the capped PVC locations for one of the cleaning jet locations was covered during shotcrete. No one noticed until after interior finish and there was a "missing" jet. The PB's intention is to uncover the location (removing surface and shotcrete by whatever means) and add the missing jet while the pool is empty.

I don't know nearly enough to know if I should be concerned about the thing being empty for (up to ) 2 weeks. And if I should be concerned - - what am I concerned about? What might I be supposed to be looking for? Are there methods to mitigate any risks?

Hope to be more of a "giver" than a "taker" around here....But at the moment - I can't find and/or assimilate info fast enough.

Hi, welcome to TFP! I don’t think running a slug of acid through there is going to do anything at all. Anything strong enough to completely dissolve a pebble plaster finish is not going to do your pvc any favors either. If it is a case of a little bit of material getting into the pipe it should be right near the surface where they can drill it out fairly easily and repair the pipe. I'm not sure I understand how the plaster entered the pipe in the first place since most pool builders leave at least 6-8" of capped off pipe above the expected surface of the pool and don't cut off the excess pipe until the finish work is done and its time to add the fittings. Same with the jet covered in shotcrete. If it was stubbed out properly this never would have happened. Personally I would rather cap off all the floor jets and plaster over them instead of having an in-floor cleaning system. Do you have skimmers and a main drain?

As far as the pool being empty up to 2 weeks, not really a good idea for fresh plaster. I would worry about it being prone to shrink and crack at this stage. The other thing to worry about is high water table floating the pool. That is probably not an issue in Phoenix. Do y'all have a rainy season that is prone to flooding and if so what time of year does that happen?

I'm going to ask a few experts to weigh in with their opinion on how this problem should be handled. @jimmythegreek , @JamesW , @onBalance

Reactions: MisterMcD
You won’t know what effects the plaster will have if any until the repairs are done so I would take numerous pictures up close of the plaster just after it’s draining and keep taking pictures every day until the pool is ready to be filled again. Hair line cracking is the most common side effect that occurs when pools are drained for long periods of time but not to all finishes, hope this helps, Ray.

Reactions: MisterMcD
Hi, welcome to TFP! I don’t think running a slug of acid through there is going to do anything at all. Anything strong enough to completely dissolve a pebble plaster finish is not going to do your pvc any favors either. If it is a case of a little bit of material getting into the pipe it should be right near the surface where they can drill it out fairly easily and repair the pipe. I'm not sure I understand how the plaster entered the pipe in the first place since most pool builders leave at least 6-8" of capped off pipe above the expected surface of the pool and don't cut off the excess pipe until the finish work is done and its time to add the fittings. Same with the jet covered in shotcrete. If it was stubbed out properly this never would have happened. Personally I would rather cap off all the floor jets and plaster over them instead of having an in-floor cleaning system. Do you have skimmers and a main drain?

As far as the pool being empty up to 2 weeks, not really a good idea for fresh plaster. I would worry about it being prone to shrink and crack at this stage. The other thing to worry about is high water table floating the pool. That is probably not an issue in Phoenix. Do y'all have a rainy season that is prone to flooding and if so what time of year does that happen?

I'm going to ask a few experts to weigh in with their opinion on how this problem should be handled. @jimmythegreek , @JamesW , @onBalance
I wouldn't think completely dissolving the chunk is necessarily the objective, right? Just need to separate enough of the aggregate from the plaster to allow the obstruction to pass. No one knows how it got in there...or how the supply for the other jet was buried alive. The obstruction isn't visible and is a bit after the 90.... It's infuriating to me, but it is what it is.

There's one skimmer and main drain that are both adjuncts to the PCC2000 in floor system. I'm not really ready to scrap it having just finished buying it!

Cracking and/or delamination from the shotcrete substrate sound like the most likely issues. I don't know where the water table is, but in the 30+ years I've been here I've never heard of it causing problems - even in the homes with basements below grade. Rainy season has passed.

You won’t know what effects the plaster will have if any until the repairs are done so I would take numerous pictures up close of the plaster just after it’s draining and keep taking pictures every day until the pool is ready to be filled again. Hair line cracking is the most common side effect that occurs when pools are drained for long periods of time but not to all finishes, hope this helps, Ray.
I'd planned to take occasional pictures, but I'll step that up to once a day or so. Grrrr.

I think I'd pass on all this as you're risking a lot here. As mentioned earlier in floor is'nt the best anyhow. I'd ask him for what he can give you back $$$ on this system and get yourself a robotic cleaner. In the long run you're better off.

I would request to wait a few more weeks before proceeding to allow the plaster to further cure and for lower day time temperatures. You are correct, acid can dissolve some dissolveable plaster components (some material may not be dissoloveable), which should help break-up the plaster enough to loosen and be pumped out.

I would request to wait a few more weeks before proceeding to allow the plaster to further cure and for lower day time temperatures. You are correct, acid can dissolve some dissolveable plaster components (some material may not be dissoloveable), which should help break-up the plaster enough to loosen and be pumped out.
It's drained now. They've located and excavated the buried PVC and say they'll add acid to the clogged one tomorrow. With good providence, it'll clear up quickly....

Pleasantly surprised at the accuracy locating the buried jet location. It's closer to the vertical wall of the step it's on than I'd like (~2"), but the patchwork should be minimal...

Attachments

• BUried jet 12021-11-02 105732.jpg
    BUried jet 12021-11-02 105732.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 20
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.