New pool this spring, questions on the test kit I got

jdsaengine

We had new salt pool installed last Sept and got about 2 weeks to use it before closing so never really started using my new Taylor salt test kit.
For those few weeks I relied on the pool store for testing (I know, shame on me). However, I did my own testing of chlorine and PH at least

Got a few questions on the test kit.

1. The kit was in my attached garage all winter and temps might have got down to low 30's. Are the chemicals still OK to use?
2. The chemicals are now about 6mo old, are they oK to still use for this upcoming season and when do they get too old to be effective?
3. I ordered the batt powered PH meter but have not calibrated it yet because instructions said to use deionized water. Can I just use distilled water?
4. Related to #3, is using the drops for reading the PH probably just a good or better than the batt powered PH meter.

Also, took a peak at the water last week under the auto cover and its clear as a bell to the bottom. . .yay !! Pool company opening May 13, can't wait.

1) still ok to use
2) still ok to use. Check the expiration dates just in case
3) not sure. I don’t like the ph meter. Use the drop test.
4) in my opinion just as good. I stopped using my ph meter because it was always having an issue and needed recalibration.

3) not sure. I don’t like the ph meter. Use the drop test.
4) in my opinion just as good. I stopped using my ph meter because it was always having an issue and needed recalibration.
I bought the PH meter too - Used it about 3 times, and then its sat in the cupboard ever since. I never seemed to be able to get a consistent reading from it - probably user error, but the drop test is foolproof, and accurate enough for what we normally need to know.

Bottom line - 7.3 or 7.4 probably isn't going to make much difference. 6.8 or 8.2...well, you don't need a meter to tell you that color is different ;)

Reactions: kul and proavia
Don't leave the kit in 32 degrees or less and certainly don't let it get too hot (I would guestimate that above 85 is too hot)

Store your kit inside the house........you will also find it easier to do all your tests indoors as well.

Mine is on the top shelf of the coat closet. The useless cabinet over the fridge would be my #2, and under the kitchen sink would be #3.

Store your kit inside the house........you will also find it easier to do all your tests indoors as well.

IMO, this is the advice i appreciate the most that I got from TFP. I dont know why I knelt down at the edge of the pool scooping up water for each test, sweating in the sun. Just fill a quart measuring cup or small bucket with pool water and then go inside to do the tests. Made my life so much easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: kul and SJPoe
I don't find doing the tests inside easier. I have a water bottle from the pool store for all my testing. I do all my tests under my gazebo next to the pool. I dump all my tested water into a kids play bucket. This way if I spill a little water, it isn't hurting anything.

Reactions: Newdude
IMO, this is the advice i appreciate the most that I got from TFP. I dont know why I knelt down at the edge of the pool scooping up water for each test, sweating in the sun. Just fill a quart measuring cup or small bucket with pool water and then go inside to do the tests. Made my life so much easier.
A cheap ‘reacher/grabber’ from the dollar store and an 8oz plastic container. Get the sample from ‘elbow’ depth with barely bending over.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support