New Pool Startup Questions

Smoke1422

May 9, 2021
Guilford, Indiana
Pool was installed in October of 2020. I was told to fill just below skimmer and cover for the winter. Thats all that was done. They don't tell you much after install. I also just opened a few boxes for the chemicals, test kit etc. and realized I have no manuals on anything. Still a bit cold here in Indiana but hoping by Memorial Day will be starting to get warm so I would like to get this going. I do have a solar cover as well and would like to know how that figures in to how the chemicals react etc. I will be uncovering this week and after filling to I'm guessing the middle of the skimmer? After that not sure on first steps to get the equipment going and what to add to the pool first. I did learn from the electrician that bonded the pool this week that none of the winterization valves were opened. Again not much imput from the installer and I had no clue this had to be done , so hoping for no leaks when starting. Am I testing water before ever starting my equipment after filling as a first step? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I would recommend posting a pic or two of all the chemicals the installer gave you so we can advise before you add anything.

For some reason the pics are small and/or won't zoom in for me, but I can say for sure the the Perfect Weekly is useless. I can't make-out the tall bottle next to it. The bags appear to be typical pool store bags of either cal-hypo or stabilized chlorine. If you have a low CH, Cal-Hypo is okay. If your CYA is low, tri-chlor or di-chlor is fine. It should say on the ingredients.

They have hooked up the aqua smarte system but I am not going to use it after what I have read. That tall bottle was a mineralizer pac. Any recommendations on a good test kit? Also, when I take my cover off and prime and turn pump on do I let it run for a while before adding anything other then sock? Electrician just finished up so I am ready now to get this going

Good call to not use the mineral pack. :goodjob: For a test kit, I highly recommend the TF-100 (link in my signature). The Taylor K-2006C is also a good alternative. Either one will provide accurate at-home test results. Once you open the pool and get the water level high enough to move water, let the pump run for about 30-45 minutes to mix water before grabbing a water sample for testing. Then you can post back here with help on chemicals or use the PoolMath APP as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.