New pool pump leaking out the bottom

dugtoni

Feb 23, 2022
Vermont
Hi all!
Recently had an above ground pool installed and now I’m dealing with the frustration of the brand new pump leaking (pentair opti-flow). I’m worried I messed it up when starting it up the first time. It was not receiving a proper flow of water because I found out the skimmer door was flapped open the wrong way. I’m not sure if that is what caused this, but there is a steady drip of water coming from the bottom of the pump. Wondering if there could possibly be any easy fix for this? From some info I found it seems like it could be related to the shaft seal going bad, but is that very likely on a new pump? Thank you in advance for any wisdom.

Was this a pool company that installed it? The skimmer door doesn't sound encouraging. Perhaps the pump installation was similarly botched?

I'm not an expert on the subject but perhaps inquire here about decoupling the pump, inspecting/lubing the seal, and recoupling with correct torque and cross pattern.

Was this a pool company that installed it? The skimmer door doesn't sound encouraging. Perhaps the pump installation was similarly botched?

I'm not an expert on the subject but perhaps inquire here about decoupling the pump, inspecting/lubing the seal, and recoupling with correct torque and cross pattern.
Thanks for the advice. It was installed by a pool guy. I wouldn’t say the skimmer door was installed incorrectly, just when the water filled up it wasn’t pushed inward which caused a problem with the pump filling up with water.

The skimmer door has nothing to do with it. When the pool is filling and not reaching proper level , the skimmer door will block the intake. How much is it leaking? if it is a minor leak, I found that it may stop it's own after a few days or a week of running.

Something to watch closely for the next few days. As a new unit there should be no leaks, but if the seal swells or seats in the next day or two great. If not, you might consider a warranty repair. Probably just the O-ring or gasket at that location and normally a fairly simple DIY project. But being brand new you shouldn't have to mess with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.