New Pool project - Round Rock, TX

LOL, that's a tan belt! Nothing like that around here that I've ever seen. I have to wonder what the point is actually... Irrigation? Drainage? Is it supposed to be a park or recreation area of sorts? Or is it just to separate the homes?

The design looks fabulous. Jealousy strikes again!

I do not want to nit pick at all, but wanted to ask if you realize what a tree over your pool means. I have two over mine, and I never turn the skimmer pump off. I just have a little Intex pool, but the droppings from the tree would be a BEAR to deal with if I didn't catch everything I could with the skimmer. Trees drop not only leaves, but lots of dirt that they catch from the air and all kinds of other weird dirty stuff.

I LOVE the tree over the pool, it's a really nice touch and with your climate it will be very nice to have the shade. But maybe talk to your PB about a separate skimming system of sorts that you can run full time or whatever else they suggest. As soon as the pumps stop, anything on top of the water fill eventually become waterlogged and drop. It's much easier to clean the basket than having to vacuum every day.

frogabog,

Yes that is a "tan" belt. It is actually drainage. I have actually seen it near full several times, and that is near 5' of water, full width.

Yes, we realize the tree over the pool is probably going to be a pain, not sure we realize how much yet. :wink:
However, we definitely wanted the shade (back yard faces west) and it will look awesome. The pump system is a variable flow and is designed to run 24x7 at low rates, so hopefully that helps. The tree is an oak, so only really drops leaves heavily one time a year and we plan to use some kind of a cover, like a solar cover around that part of the season, hopefully that helps some. Any other ideas are welcome.

Moving right along. Excavation is complete on the third day.

Excavation_Complete.jpg

Because of the slope of the yard, the deck will be at the top of the wood forms on the side nearest the house. The forms indicate the top of the pool all the way around.

Day 4 of construction. The steel is done and rough plumbing is done! The equipment is also on the pad. I have a question in to the PB about some things, mainly minor. The plumbing to the pump does not seem right, there should be 12-13" straight run to the suction side of the pump, per pump spec. Should be a minor change. Please chime in if you see anything amiss. There are no drains in the bottom. That is per design. (Good bad? Anyone have experience with this?) There are 8 returns and two skimmers.

Steel and plumbing:

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

And the Pump:
IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

I like the design with the planter on the outside edge of the deck. It'll look really nice.

I echo what frogabog said... If you're doing your own pool maintenance that tree could start to wear on your nerves. As it gets bigger it'll be tough to go more than a day with a clean pool. If it's windy in your area... especially as the tree grows... it gives me a little sinking feeling inside. That looks like an oak so it's not as dirty as some trees, but all those leaves come off. My x-neighbor planted a deciduous tree near the property line and its canopy hung near, but not over, my old pool. On windy days and in the fall it would create an UNBELIEVABLE amount of work for me. It's not just cleaning skimmers. Leaves break apart fast. You're cleaning leaf-dirt out of your skimmers, tearing apart your pool vac, sweeping like a madman while trying to loosen the dirt in the nooks and crannies of your pebble finish... and don't forget the pool filter; it's quickly clogged by the leaf particles and it'll need to be cleaned too. *shiver* Bad memories.

fyton2v,

I'll defer to your experience, I'm not really sure what I (guess who will be cleaning the pool) have gotten myself into :? . There really was no way around the tree without taking it out. Since the yard faces West that would leave the house completely exposed, and it is hot enough back there already. I think if the pool were further back it will still be subject to the leaves. Besides, with the wind we had here all spring and most of the summer, over the pool might be the best spot, nothing could drop sraight under the tree. :wink:

DBfan187,

Yes, they call it gunite, but it is really shotcrete. It is also mixed with fibermesh to hopefully prevent the cosmetic cracking. Any experience with this?

Very little, typically they're both gunite/shotcrete. Just different delivery methods. The wet-mix = shotcrete, dry-mix = gunite. I'm just used to seeing the dry-mix method with most builds on here that are in Texas.

Nothing wrong with either choice. I perfer shotcrete because it can be done faster, and more high volume.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very little, typically they're both gunite/shotcrete. Just different delivery methods. The wet-mix = shotcrete, dry-mix = gunite. I'm just used to seeing the dry-mix method with most builds on here that are in Texas.

Interesting. Any experience with "California mix" or fibermesh in the concrete?

A little slow on the pics, but plenty of progress. We had to water the pool all weekend the help the curing of the concrete, temps back ion the 100s again :grrrr:
The deck has started. We expect to be filling the pool on the 13th, yeah!

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

Is the pump easily accessible? It looks like removing the pump basket cover could be a real pain? Can you ask them to rearrange the equipment so the pump is to the left of the filter instead of behind it?

carlscan26,

It is certainly not the best layout for the pump. After I take out the bush on the left it should be faily easy to reach. What I was more concerned about was the 90 degree elbow on the inlet. I asked the PB and he says he talked to the Hayward rep again and that the setup is fine. Doesn't agree with their manual, though. Anyone with experience with this?

adeller said:
carlscan26,

It is certainly not the best layout for the pump. After I take out the bush on the left it should be faily easy to reach. What I was more concerned about was the 90 degree elbow on the inlet. I asked the PB and he says he talked to the Hayward rep again and that the setup is fine. Doesn't agree with their manual, though. Anyone with experience with this?

It looks like you have enough space to movd the filter to the righ and put the pump in line with the suction line. Mine only has about 6" of straight pipe before hitting the jandy valve for the cleaner vs skimmer lines. If you can get a written statement from the local rep that it's not a problem then maybe leave it that way if you don't mind the layout. otherwise if you ever have a warranty issue they coukd blame the install/setup...

On the return side, is the swgc in a side loop or does all of the water flow through it? It's hard to see with the pipes in front of it but it looks like it gets fed from a T and returns back through a T that connects to the first one if that makes sense? Is there a valve in the middle there to regulate flow to the cell?

carlscan26,

I think there is enough space to work on it, especially when I take out or remove the bush on the left. I still have the email where they assured me the installation was OK. Hopefully that is good.

The salt cell is on a bypass setup. I need to look at it closer to see if there is a valve there, not sure yet. They finished the electrical rough the other day, and I haven't really had a chance to look that over in the daylight yet.

Moving right along. The stone work was completed Sun. We are scheduled for plaster on Thur. Yeah! :party:

It is not washed yet, so we expect some more color to come out after;
IMG_0549.jpg

The finished planter box, now just to add green stuff;
IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.