New pool patio being installed, now air is coming into the system non stop.

Evo-L

May 18, 2020
Florida
We’re having a new patio installed around the pool deck made out of pavers. During the install they did some tamping causing a lot of vibrations.

I’m wondering if maybe this did something to the pool lines? Maybe shook them loose?

I’ve checked the water level, it’s fine. Ive checked the pump top, it’s on there. I’ve retightened the connectors on the pump, and tried running the air out of the lines for 30 minutes. There’s still air in them, can’t get it out. I’m thinking maybe air is being drawn in somewhere.

I’m hearing what may be a slight suction noise on the DE filter valve assembly, but it may just be the water flowing through it. I’m not sure.

Additional info:
The pump will fill up with water, but most times there will be a small stream of air spinning in there. I was able to remove the air from the pump once when I turned off the feed from the vacuum line.

When I only open the vacuum line into the system, there’s a almost lurching of the pipes. The pump will suck in some water, slow down or stop, then suck in more water. Is this from a blockage in the vacuum line? Or maybe it just can’t pull enough water from just the vacuum line?

The whole reason I got into this was because my suction vacuum wasn’t moving. So I tried to clean the air all out of its lines. When that didn’t help I started trying to clean the air from the system and here I am.

I’m now thinking a line is clogged or I have an air leak. My kids play with small toys in the pool so maybe there is a blockage?‍♂️

Any ideas on where to look or how to troubleshoot?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, you mentioned two possibilities, so let's discuss them both:
Suction side air leak: If the contractor tamping somehow created enough vibration to compromise one of your connections, that would let air "in" to your plumbing on the suction side (from skimmer to the pad). So check everything between those two locations. Of course the O-ring under the clear lid should also have some pool silicone lube on it.

Clog: If you suspect the lack of water flow to the pump is a result of a clog, the try pushing water backwards from the equipment pad back to the pool. You can use a bladder-pressure device like a Drain King, or insert a garden hose into the pump inlet (motor off of course). Wrap a rag around the hose, and try to push water back to the skimmer or vacuum line. Depending on your pool set-up, you may be able to test that theory by adjusting water suction from the skimmer, main drain, etc.

Something that would help us is for you to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. You can also post a pic of your pool and equipment pad so we can see what you are dealing with there. Hopefully we can help you resolve this issue.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Well, you mentioned two possibilities, so let's discuss them both:
Suction side air leak: If the contractor tamping somehow created enough vibration to compromise one of your connections, that would let air "in" to your plumbing on the suction side (from skimmer to the pad). So check everything between those two locations. Of course the O-ring under the clear lid should also have some pool silicone lube on it.

Clog: If you suspect the lack of water flow to the pump is a result of a clog, the try pushing water backwards from the equipment pad back to the pool. You can use a bladder-pressure device like a Drain King, or insert a garden hose into the pump inlet (motor off of course). Wrap a rag around the hose, and try to push water back to the skimmer or vacuum line. Depending on your pool set-up, you may be able to test that theory by adjusting water suction from the skimmer, main drain, etc.

Something that would help us is for you to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. You can also post a pic of your pool and equipment pad so we can see what you are dealing with there. Hopefully we can help you resolve this issue.

Thanks so much for the reply. Attached a photo of my pool equipment, which I just redid. I only redid the last bit of piping to clean it up and move it closer to the house. I also rebuilt everything in the DE filter and installed a new Pentair VS pump.

When I turn on all suction lines, and turn off the vacuum line, the bubbles in the line seem to go away and the pump window clears up from bubbles. but when I turn the vacuum line back on the bubbles return.

Im thinking something is up with this line. I will try the drain king, I just picked one up. I also called my local pool company and they said maybe the tamping collapsed the vacuum PVC line? Ive never heard of PVC collapsing, only breaking. Is this a possibility? The pipe collapsing from the tamping on the surface?

Attachments

• IMG_1142.jpeg
    IMG_1142.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 14
More photos attached. I have also tried the drain king, and there is flow leaving the vacuum port in the pool. Not a ton, but I can feel the colder water coming out. I am not sure how much flow should be coming out.

- Photo of the pump when the vacuum line is closed (no bubbles)
- Photo of the pump with the vacuum line open (bubbles)
- Photo of the clear SWG showing the bubbles when the vacuum line is open (bubbles)

Attachments

• IMG_1285.jpeg
    IMG_1285.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1286.jpeg
    IMG_1286.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1287.jpeg
    IMG_1287.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 8
Based on what you are describing, I would tend to agree that something is odd with the vacuum line. Collapsing? Seems odd to me, but perhaps something jolted loose. Or, perhaps you'll get lucky and it's nothing more than a small toy or piece of debris lodged in there from vacuuming. Hopefully it's the latter. Let us know how it goes.

Based on what you are describing, I would tend to agree that something is odd with the vacuum line. Collapsing? Seems odd to me, but perhaps something jolted loose. Or, perhaps you'll get lucky and it's nothing more than a small toy or piece of debris lodged in there from vacuuming. Hopefully it's the latter. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks. Ive tried the drain king and some flow came out. I am not sure what else to try. I dont know how much flow should be coming out. I let it run for a couple minutes and didnt see anything come out.

Maybe snake down a borescope and see if line is collapsed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.