New pool owner

Jamann

Jun 10, 2017
Elk Grove, CA
Hey all, my name is Josh, and we close escrow next week on our new place-- with one of our biggest wishlist items! While I don't know the size or gallons of the pool offhand, It is an inground freeform with a spa, I would estimate roughly 20-25k gallons. Has a Jandy cl460 filter with a Jandy 1.25hp phpf filter pump as well as a Jandy 1.5 hp jet pump and a paypak Versa heater. It also has an Aqualink RS Controller. It is a plaster surface.

I have very little experience caring for pools, but am eager to learn. To get started, what chemicals should I secure? Best test kit? The numbers from the inspection were as follows--

chlorine- 3ppm
ph- 7.2
ch- 200
cya-100 plus

any and all advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Josh, welcome to TFP! :wave: I can assure you one of your biggest challenges will be lowering that CYA - if it is indeed at 100 or more (probably more). Especially in CA where water rationing seems to be the biggest hurdle. But before we assume the worse, you need your own (proper) test kit. Here at TFP we recommend either the TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. It is imperative you have one of those. I personally like the TF-100 full of Taylor reagents, and also order the magnetic speedstir for efficient mixing. It helps a lot. Once you get that test kit and move-in, post a full set of test results and we'll give you accurate advice to help. It's not hard, but you must have one of those kits.

Hope that helps. Nice to have you with us.

Welcome, Josh!
I was in your shoes one year ago. Fear not. You're in the right place.
Our new (to us) pool with spa is inground and freeform too - our CYA was also immeasurable. We were very worried about getting the water in line.
Our solution was to just drain it and start over. Best decision ever, thanks to TFP. It got us swimming that much faster.

Welcome! :wave:

There's no need to stockpile chemicals in advance.
1) Without test results you don;t know what you'll need
2) Whatever you do need will be readily available

Hopefully they left the pole and brush and skimmer net and vacuum behind.

I use a TF100 test kit and I bought a speedstir as well and can never see going back to manual swirling.

About all you can do right now is comparison shop the pricing on acid and chlorine. There's no way to predict where you'll find things cheapest. This time of year the big box store sell pool chemicals. I personally use HASA bleach and acid that comes in returnable jugs and crates. If you've ever seen the yellow and orange milk crates in the back of the pool service trucks, that's the stuff. http://www.hasapool.com/dealer_locator_hasa.php

Thank you for the replies. I just ordered the TF100 kit, as well as the speedstir. I will do some research and try to figure out the best place locally to obtain the required chemicals, and update you with the numbers when we get the keys. Luckily, we won't be moving in for another 2 or so weeks after that because we are having some work done, so I will have time to get everything right.

I have very little experience caring for pools, but am eager to learn.

I am as new as you are to the pool-owning scene. But I've already picked up on one huge thing from reading up over here.

A lot of well-meaning people and a lot of pool stores will look at these numbers from you inspection:

chlorine- 3ppm
ph- 7.2

and tell you that you're golden ... all while totally ignoring this number:

cya-100 plus

which is tying down a ton of chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.