New pool owner with high Chlorine questions..

I think your numbers look pretty good except your CYA. I would not use tabs and wait til your CYA drifts down. If you have some left, you can use them later. I used tabs recently to boost my CYA from 50 to 60 when out of town.

I think you should use liquid chlorine and not powder but my calcium hardness tends to drop a bit (low calcium fill water) so it might be okay depending on your source water.

But I purposely try to keep chlorine close to 10 and recently it's stayed over 10 (because of tabs while out of town--even though Iowered swg before we left). It's drifted down slowly and the water quality looks great.

Last edited:
I just wanted to ask another related question.. Should I be shocking my pool every 1 to 2 weeks? I'm still finding my way around this forum, so I apologize if it's already been answered. Thank you all again for jumping in and helping me!
Nope. As long as you keep your chlorine at the appropriate levels, there is no need to shock your pool.

PS - If it makes you feel better my FC is around 10 currently and we all swam last night and I plan on getting in again today.

Reactions: jtb777
I just wanted to ask another related question.. Should I be shocking my pool every 1 to 2 weeks? I'm still finding my way around this forum, so I apologize if it's already been answered. Thank you all again for jumping in and helping me!
No. As long as you maintain your FC at the appropriate level for your CYA, there is no need to shock on any regular basis.

The only time we shock is when algae has been detected and then it is not a one time process. It is done as part of a SLAM, which stands for Shock Level And Maintain. SLAM Process

Reactions: jtb777
Nope. As long as you keep your chlorine at the appropriate levels, there is no need to shock your pool.

PS - If it makes you feel better my FC is around 10 currently and we all swam last night and I plan on getting in again today.
Jinx!

• Haha
Reactions: jtb777 and JJ_Tex
I think your numbers look pretty good except your CYA. I would not use tabs and wait til your CYA drifts down. If you have some left, you can use them later. I used tabs recently to boost my CYA from 50 to 60 when out of town.

I think you should use liquid chlorine and not powder but my calcium hardness tends to drop a bit (low calcium fill water) so it might be okay depending on your source water.

But I purposely try to keep chlorine close to 10 and recently it's stayed over 10 (because of tabs while out of town--even though Iowered swg before we left). It's drifted down slowly and the water quality looks great.
Thanks! Would you say the alkalinity number is okay too? I thought it was low at 43, and that it should be more like 60 to 80 (50 minimum).

Thank you so much! Just doing basic Google searches, I get so many differing answers to this question. I really appreciate your reply!!

No. As long as you maintain your FC at the appropriate level for your CYA, there is no need to shock on any regular basis.

The only time we shock is when algae has been detected and then it is not a one time process. It is done as part of a SLAM, which stands for Shock Level And Maintain. SLAM Process
Really appreciate this. Thank you!

Would there ever be a reason to try and get the FC back down to the traditional level of 1 - 5ppm? I'm currently at a CYA 76. The reason I ask is that we had a pool inspection two months ago when we bought the house, and the inspector recorded a chlorine level of 3.5 and CYA 70.

Thanks for helping me understand the relationship between CYA and chlorine!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.