New pool owner with chemical question

stonefamily

May 31, 2021
North Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
We just had our new pool set up and have a list of chemicals that need to be added after the pool company tested our water. It says to add 20 lbs of alkalinity plus which sounds like a lot to us. We have tested the water and the ph is 7.6 and we are concerned adding alkalinity plus will throw the ph off. Any advice would be appreciated.

What is your total alkalinity (TA)? That is the number you need to know. If your pH is 7.6, I highly doubt you need to raise your TA at all. If TA is at least 60 no need to add any alkalinity plus.

Do you have your own test kit? You really should have your own quality kit. We recommend only two on this site. Either the TF-100 or the Taylor K2006C. They both have the CYA test and the all important FAS-DPD chlorine test. Most other test kits use less precise tests for the chlorine and a lot don't even have a CYA test. Those are probably the 2 most important tests for the pool. The kits aren't cheap, but it will be the best investment you make in maintaining your pool. It will pay for itself many times over, including the first time that you don't have to go to the pool store and get lured into their "free testing" which isn't really free after you end up walking out of there with up to $300 worth of potions and chemicals that they recommend. We call that getting "pool stored".

Before I found TFP, I used the dip strips and the "free" pool store, and I almost always left the pool store with at least $100 in chemicals (Pool store alkalinity + $35 for 13 lb, compared to baking soda @ Sam's $7 for 15 lb). Even with all their special chemicals and potions, by late July, early August, my pool would start to show signs of algae. Their solution, more potions and chemicals. At the time I understood water balance and chlorination because I had operated a water treatment plant, but what I didn't understand was stabilizer and the implications of high CYA and chlorine.

Last year I found FTP and I stopped all the pool store chemicals, and I started controlling CYA and using liquid chlorine. My pool did not have one episode of algae, and I was adding no extra chemicals to the pool and it was much cheaper. I have since changed to SWG to simplify pool maintenance.

My advice would be to STOP going to the pool store, get one of these test kits TF-100 or Talylor K2006, download pool math to determine what/if any chemical are needed and use only the chemicals listed on this site in the "Recommended Pool Chemicals" article, and read the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry".

Thank you. We will order a test kit today. It came with a simple one but it just tests pH and chlorine so I am not sure the alkalinity. They tested that and just gave us a bunch of chemicals and amounts to use this first time.
I will read those articles as well. Thank you

Before I found TFP, I used the dip strips and the "free" pool store, and I almost always left the pool store with at least $100 in chemicals (Pool store alkalinity + $35 for 13 lb, compared to baking soda @ Sam's $7 for 15 lb). Even with all their special chemicals and potions, by late July, early August, my pool would start to show signs of algae. Their solution, more potions and chemicals. At the time I understood water balance and chlorination because I had operated a water treatment plant, but what I didn't understand was stabilizer and the implications of high CYA and chlorine.

Last year I found FTP and I stopped all the pool store chemicals, and I started controlling CYA and using liquid chlorine. My pool did not have one episode of algae, and I was adding no extra chemicals to the pool and it was much cheaper. I have since changed to SWG to simplify pool maintenance.

My advice would be to STOP going to the pool store, get one of these test kits TF-100 or Talylor K2006, download pool math to determine what/if any chemical are needed and use only the chemicals listed on this site in the "Recommended Pool Chemicals" article, and read the "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry".
Wish I found this site before we went to the pool store. At installation they said get a water sample and bring it to them for instructions on chemicals. Regretting that. We have shocked it and now will stop and order the test kit. Thank you

What is your total alkalinity (TA)? That is the number you need to know. If your pH is 7.6, I highly doubt you need to raise your TA at all. If TA is at least 60 no need to add any alkalinity plus.

Do you have your own test kit? You really should have your own quality kit. We recommend only two on this site. Either the TF-100 or the Taylor K2006C. They both have the CYA test and the all important FAS-DPD chlorine test. Most other test kits use less precise tests for the chlorine and a lot don't even have a CYA test. Those are probably the 2 most important tests for the pool. The kits aren't cheap, but it will be the best investment you make in maintaining your pool. It will pay for itself many times over, including the first time that you don't have to go to the pool store and get lured into their "free testing" which isn't really free after you end up walking out of there with up to $300 worth of potions and chemicals that they recommend. We call that getting "pool stored".
Well we got “pool stored” At installation they told us to come back after it was filled and they would test and get us started with chemicals. Regretting that. The test we have only does chlorine and pH so I do not know alkalinity. But 20 lbs added would through off the pH, correct? We will order a better test kit today. Thanks

Without knowing the size in gallons of your pool, it's hard to say how much it will change things, but in my 20K gallon pool, adding 20 Lbs of Alkalinity up (baking soda) will increase my TA by 70ppm. So, I would definitely wait and not add it until you get a good test kit. Like I said before, if your pH is accurate at 7.6, it is very unlikely that your TA is low (under 50ppm). If it's not under 50ppm, I wouldn't add ANY. You don't need it. Adding it will raise your pH a little (by 0.15 according to my pool volume), but I'd just hold out for the kit and take a full set of readings. Those two kits are very trustworthy and the tests are reliable.

While you wait for your kit to arrive, add 3 to 5 ppm worth of FC with liquid chlorine using Pool Math so your pool won't start getting cloudy. This should help keep things from getting any worse until you receive your test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.