New Pool Owner - Vacuum Issue

jcmcde

Apr 19, 2024
Broken Arrow, OK
Howdy. We recently purchased a home (4 weeks ago) with a 14,000 gallon inground pool. I am slowly learning but still running into things I can't figure out. I purchased one of those crawly vacuums. the issue I have is I don't know how to get suction to the vacuum port. I have 5 valves, from left to right and pictured below.
  • To Pool
  • Fountain
  • Cleaning
  • Unmarked ( I believe this is the skimmer)
  • Unmarked ( I believe this is the drain)

From what I have read, I should use the following process.
  1. Turn off pump
  2. Connect vacuum hose to the vacuum port
  3. Turn off drain
  4. Turn off fountains
  5. Turn pump back on
I do this and nothing. No suction on the vacuum or at the port if I remove the hose. I have a feeling it's a valve I am not positioning correctly but honestly have no idea.

Looking for some input and suggestions.

IMG_5663.jpg

Thank you

BOOMER!

Howdy. We recently purchased a home (4 weeks ago) with a 14,000 gallon inground pool. I am slowly learning but still running into things I can't figure out. I purchased one of those crawly vacuums. the issue I have is I don't know how to get suction to the vacuum port. I have 5 valves, from left to right and pictured below.
  • To Pool
  • Fountain
  • Cleaning
  • Unmarked ( I believe this is the skimmer)
  • Unmarked ( I believe this is the drain)

From what I have read, I should use the following process.
  1. Turn off pump
  2. Connect vacuum hose to the vacuum port
  3. Turn off drain
  4. Turn off fountains
  5. Turn pump back on
I do this and nothing. No suction on the vacuum or at the port if I remove the hose. I have a feeling it's a valve I am not positioning correctly but honestly have no idea.

Looking for some input and suggestions.

View attachment 565786

Thank you

BOOMER!
The 3 pipes on the left are “flowing to the pool”. Therefore the cleaner needs to be a pressure activated cleaner and not a suction cleaner.
It would be better to have multiple photos of the equipment pad.

Thank you for the replies. It's dusk here, sorry for the lighting. I have also attached a pic of the vacuum. Maybe like what @HermanTX said, I need a pressure activated cleaner and not a suction?
Thanks for the additional pictures. That is definitely a pressure activated cleaner plumb line. You need one that does not require a booster pump. Polaris Model 360 is one example. Hopefully you can return the suction side cleaner. A better alternative may be to purchase a robot cleaner. The older technology is a corded robot (Maytronics) and the newer technology is cordless such as Aiper(search the site for more info) This way only need to have the robot in when you need to clean the pool. The pressure side cleaners normally stays in the pool constantly because a pain to take it in and out with the hose. That plumbing to the pool will just become another pool return.

The vacuum you have purchased (assuming it’s the one pictured) is designed to be hooked into the skimmer port. No amount of manipulating the cleaner valve will help as that valve is designed for a pressure type cleaner. This link with videos may help you if you want to use that cleaner…VINGLI Swimming Pool Cleaner Automatic Vacuum with Hose Set.

Last edited:
So I went with a cheap robotic cleaner, the Aiper Scuba SE Robotic Pool Cleaner. Amazon had a $50 off on this things so I thought, why not. My pool is pretty flat but I charged it today and let it run. Seemed to do fine. Picked up all of the debris in the pool and it was about $100. Plus no cords. My pool is slightly sloped, it's a lagoon style pool, and it didn't stop at the edge of the pool. I think it tried, but then rolled into the center. I had to fish it out. It came with a little hook, so it wasn't too bad.

Reactions: HermanTX