New Pool Owner Tired of Paying Big Pool Chemical Costs

The folks on this site are wonderful, so thanks for that. A couple follow up questions:
1. if using a mesh cover, how much should I drain my pool at closing
2. does it make sense to wait until as late in the year as possible to close the pool so as to avoid algae forming before closing (we're in Illinois)
3. does it make sense to open as early as possible next year (before algae starts--after thaws are done)?
4. when going out of town for a week, should I shock and then run tabs in my chlorinator to get through?
5. my tf-100 test kit shows approximately 90 CYA (but that test seems a bit subjective based on seeing the black dot) and my quick test strips show CYA in the 20-40 range. Which do I believe?

Thanks for everyone's excellent advice thus far. . .

birkesl said:
The folks on this site are wonderful, so thanks for that. A couple follow up questions:
1. if using a mesh cover, how much should I drain my pool at closing Don't know. Never close
2. does it make sense to wait until as late in the year as possible to close the pool so as to avoid algae forming before closing (we're in Illinois)Yes
3. does it make sense to open as early as possible next year (before algae starts--after thaws are done)?Yes
4. when going out of town for a week, should I shock and then run tabs in my chlorinator to get through?Yes. I also raise the water level to allow for evaporation
5. my tf-100 test kit shows approximately 90 CYA (but that test seems a bit subjective based on seeing the black dot) and my quick test strips show CYA in the 20-40 range. Which do I believe?TF100. You can lower CYA slowly by using pool water on the lawns and use the irrigation water to refill. Same amount, just useful.

Thanks for everyone's excellent advice thus far. . .
You're welcome

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.