GangPond

May 17, 2022
St. Louis
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Bought a house in March, no inspection on pool since I was told it has to be open to inspect. Was ghosted by 2 companies who were supposed to open for us and finally have a company coming out to open the pool this Friday. I am literally having nightmares about what we will find. The cover has pulled back some from the water feature over pool (a snapped hook!) to reveal dark black water in which my kids swear they can see something swimming in (baby tadpoles- welcome to the family).
I had armed myself with test strips, H2H pool shock and chlorine tabs. Have been lurking on this website for the past few days to arm myself with knowledge before the moment of truth this Friday when we officially open.
Have already made a few rookie mistakes, after a storm the skimmer basket plastic door opened to reveal an empty bottle of anti freeze which we threw away, this was mid April so hopefully did not do much damage there. The pool company coming to open told us to dump 4 bags of H2H last week and then 2 this week which I realize may have already caused issues to the floor of the pool. (Should have diluted it as I know now)

Here is all I know about the pool so far-
14-19K gallons
Gunite pool
Cartridge filter- Pentair System 3
Has a chlorine generator so I assume it is a salt water pool
Pump replaced in 2020 to an energy efficient pump- Intellipro
3 tiles fallen off (per disclosure from prior owner) which will need fixed
Rip in pool cover and 1 snapped off hook.
Water level sitting below the first step off into the pool (hopefully does not mean a leak!!)

I am hoping to be able to do weekly balancing myself. Immediate concern is getting the pool balanced initially- I would hate to be charged for repeated trips by company to get the pool swim ready as we have been warned it may take several trips.
Have ordered the TF-100 test kit so looking to pick some brains here once we start testing.
Thank you all for letting this newbie feel like I can get a handle on this with your support.

Have ordered the TF-100 test kit
THAT'S IT! Right there. :goodjob: The rest we can help with once you get it. Don't bother doing anything else to the swamp yet. We'll coach you through. Once you get the kit, start a thread in teh Algae & Prevention forum and we'll focus on that.

Welcome to TFP! :wave

Reactions: AK-