New Pool owner in New Zealand

In the poolmath App in settings you can change to Metric by changing your pool volume to Liters. We usually dont recommend Dry Acid, use Muriatic Acid which is readily available in any hardware store.

In the poolmath App in settings you can change to Metric by changing your pool volume to Liters. We usually dont recommend Dry Acid, use Muriatic Acid which is readily available in any hardware store.
Hi Flying Tivo.

I am using Metric within the App but I know most people on here are from the US so I thought it best to use imperial measurements for when I post :)

Hi Flying Tivo.

I am using Metric within the App but I know most people on here are from the US so I thought it best to use imperial measurements for when I post :)

I think this is the best approach. But if you want to talk amongst yourselves, feel free. Just being honest, I'm less likely to catch issues if they are presented in metric as it's not my native tongue.

Reading today after adding some CH. I added 4lb 6oz of CH and this should have added 20 points to the reading according to the instructions on the pack.

CYA <35 (that is lowest the test shows)
FC=3.5
CC=0.5
pH=7.6
TA=70
CH=125

CSI = -0.48

Temperature was 79.

So the CH is slightly higher than I expected, but then my estimate of 17,000 gallons for the pool maybe incorrect.

So today I will be adding CYA, Chlorine, and CH.

Note all the amounts below are rounded as I work in metric.

CYA I will be adding 23oz
CH I will be adding 4lbs 6oz
Chlorine I will be adding 8.5 fl oz

I will also track some some Dry Acid to work on the lowering the pH if I have to.

Do I need to worry about adding these chemicals at the same time, or should I separate the timing of adding these?

All is looking good. Regarding timing on adding chemicals...

How long to wait between adding pool chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

OK results for today (well yesterday as I am posting this first thing the following morning.

CYA=40
FC=3.5
CC=0
pH=7.6
TA=70
cH=175

CSI=-0.36

So looks like a good move on everything. FC did not change even with the chlorine being added but with everything else going on I will just add another 8.5 fl oz of Chlorine today and I hope to some more CH today from the local hardware store.

You are at the minimum for FC. Keep it in the 5-7 target range for a CYA of 40. Your FC did change with the FC added, it just went back down by the same amount. This means you need to add more next time, not the same amount.

You are at the minimum for FC. Keep it in the 5-7 target range for a CYA of 40. Your FC did change with the FC added, it just went back down by the same amount. This means you need to add more next time, not the same amount.
I was going on Pool Maths that seem to suggest my FC to be 3.0 to 7.0 and defaulted 4.0 into the target field. I have altered the target to 5.0 for now. So need to add 26 fl oz of Chlorine today.

Agreed that is what Pool Math says. I was looking at the FC/CYA chart which is worded slightly differently, having the target range of 5-7, though same absolute minimum of 3.

Your target should be 7 then is falls to 4 or 5, then you replenish. I would not play at the low end of the range. 3 is OK but you miss one day or forget and bam. If you start at 7 and miss a day you are still ok.

Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support