New Pool Owner - How to plumb it right?

critter783

Silver Supporter
Jul 26, 2017
Melbourne, KY
Just getting into all this pool stuff, and I have a couple of questions. I hooked up the pump and got the pool filled about 1 1/2" up the skimmer, but I think my pump was sucking some air a few seconds every minute. I also have a couple of slow drip leaks on the return side and on one on the supply between the pump and the filter. I want to get in and fix it all and I want to do it correctly, but I'm not sure what the best way to do that is. So here's a few of the many questions I have!

1. When I set my multi-port to backwash, should water come out of the waste port even with the pump shut off? This happens but I don't think it should.
  2. What's the best way to seal off the skimmer/supply so I can change the plumbing to rigid Sch 40 PVC? I see some rubber expanding plugs on Amazon, so i'm thinking of trying those. I also considered using a rubber ball and wedging it in but that seems ghetto. Should I just pump it down to below the skimmer and lose all that water? I hate to have to fill it back up again.
  3. Should I switch the plumbing to Schedule 40 PVC? It seems like that's the most durable and correct way to do it.
  4. Currently, I have the flexible pool hoses connected, but the one from the pump to the filter is about twice as long as it needs to be, and it seems to cause a lot of loss to the pump. Should I swap that out for something shorter?
  5. The hose from the skimmer to the pump strainer housing is a couple of feet longer than it needs to be as well, and as a result, it lays on the ground for a foot or so before raising back up a few inches to the pump. Could this be causing some of my suction leaking as well?
  6. The hose from the filter to the jet sags a bit as well. I assume that this return line and the supply from the skimmer should both be Schedule 40, and both of these should have ball valves or check valves on them to facilitate maintenance?

I know it's a ton of questions, but I've made an effort at searching, and I can't seem to find exactly what I'd like to know. Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

1. With the multiport below water level, that will happen. It should be much slower than with the pump on.
2. Rubber expanding plug is handy. Rubber ball would be fine if it's the right size and won't slide in and get stuck, or too big and get knocked off while you're working.
3. Yep, schedule 40 PVC
4. Shorter runs will reduce head loss and therefore increase flow. If there are more bends than needed, that also contributes to head loss
5. The extra hose won't cause the leak, unless there is stress on the connection and the connection is not tight enough
6. Yep, good ideas and plan. Use a combination of vertical and horizontal sections long enough so things can move a little bit without putting stress on either end. It's easier to do the plumbing if you include a barrel union for the final connection. There are valves that are both a union and a valve, which can be cost-effective and handy. Have some silicone lube handy for lubricating o-rings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.