Maryville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Just finished construction in a 19,000 gallon in ground vinyl pool. PB set my Ichlor 30 to 20% and had me add 16 bags of salt. 4 days now and FC and total
Chlorine are still zero! Just used Clorox test strips (haven’t tried the Taylor 2006 yet).
Water is clear as can be….I would think I need to get free and total up, then worry about stabilizer, etc.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 8A3EA313-BCD0-452B-9DE6-EB3A0F552B04.png
    8A3EA313-BCD0-452B-9DE6-EB3A0F552B04.png
    479.5 KB · Views: 8
A new pool needs both stabilizer and a reasonable amount of chlorine balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. For salt pools we normally recommend a minimum CYA of 70, but with winter approaching you could probably get by with less - perhaps a CYA of about 50. But add stabilizer via the sock method and increase the FC with liquid chlorine until you get the SWG/pump run times dialed in.

Priority - use the K-2006 not test strips. Test strips are horrible.

Reactions: Nizinski
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Reactions: Nizinski
Welcome to the board, lots of great info and people here to help.

16 bags of salt in your pool should give you a salt level of 4,000 ppm. The Ichlor 30 that you have will produce 1lb of chlorine when set at 100% and run for 24 hours. If you experience say 3 ppm chlorine loss per day you would need to run the Ichlor 30 at 100% for about 12 hours per day to add back that 3 ppm you lost. So your current settings are too low to do anything. I would use liquid chlorine to get you stared, for your pool size you will need to add a gallon to raise your FC from 0 to 5. The FC numbers will fall fast in the sun without any CYA. As stated above...try to get your CYA to about 50 ppm for starters, for your pool that is about 130 oz. by weight.

Use the Taylor kit going forward for measurements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.