bkbrown24

Apr 10, 2024
prosper tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just moved into a house and we’ve had a lot of rain the last couple of weeks. Pool turned green with algae in it so we did a triple shock treatment last week with the HTH pool care shock packets before i found this site. Our pool is no longer green but i just ran my first tests with the tf-pro kit and the results are way off. Not sure what to do from here to fix these test results:

Ph = 7.8
CI = 0? Clear
Chlorine drop test = clear
Calcium = 40 drops x 25 = 1000
Alkalinity= 9 drops x 10 = 99
Cya = 100

Thanks in advance!

I just moved into a house and we’ve had a lot of rain the last couple of weeks. Pool turned green with algae in it so we did a triple shock treatment last week with the HTH pool care shock packets before i found this site. Our pool is no longer green but i just ran my first tests with the tf-pro kit and the results are way off. Not sure what to do from here to fix these test results:

Ph = 7.8
CI = 0? Clear
Chlorine drop test = clear
Calcium = 40 drops x 25 = 1000
Alkalinity= 9 drops x 10 = 99
Cya = 100

Thanks in advance!
Welcome!

Your chlorine test, were you using the powder and the watwr sample didnt turn pink when the powder was added? If so, that means you have no chlorine.

Use chlorinating liquid to increase the free chlorine to the appropriate range here:

The issue will be maintaining enough chlorine to compensate for your high CYA. You may want to test that again with a diluted sample in case its really far above 100ppm. If it is, youll need to drain wTer and replace it with fresh to lower it. In fact, this may be the best option to take care of the high calcium as well. Thosr powdered shock packets contain CYA or calcium and so using them a lot can cause those to get too high to manage.

Reactions: bkbrown24
Yes! I used the powder during the chlorine test and the water just stayed clear. I did the other chlorine test as well that is done with the ph balance and it stayed clear as well (instead of turning yellow.) So i guess somehow there is no chlorine in it

For the CYA test, complete the test using a diluted sample:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally, but multiply the final result by two.
You'll likely need to do a water exchange to get CYA and CH within recommended ranges.

If FC levels are not holding, you likely have algae. Complete an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and follow up with the SLAM Process if necessary.

Yes! I used the powder during the chlorine test and the water just stayed clear. I did the other chlorine test as well that is done with the ph balance and it stayed clear as well (instead of turning yellow.) So i guess somehow there is no chlorine in it
With a CYA at 100ppm (or more) you need to maintian a higher level of chlorine to keep things from growing in the water. If its been low for some time, anything growing in there will consume the chlorine you do have. Go ahead and do the diluted CYA test referenced above and let us know what it says.

For the CYA test, complete the test using a diluted sample:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally, but multiply the final result by two.
You'll likely need to do a water exchange to get CYA and CH within recommended ranges.

If FC levels are not holding, you likely have algae. Complete an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and follow up with the SLAM Process if necessary.

Diluted test was around 30x2= 60

With a CYA at 100ppm (or more) you need to maintian a higher level of chlorine to keep things from growing in the water. If its been low for some time, anything growing in there will consume the chlorine you do have. Go ahead and do the diluted CYA test referenced above and let us know what it says.

The original test was over 100 but the diluted was 60

Diluted test was around 30x2= 60

The original test was over 100 but the diluted was 60
So your CYA is close to 100 and your pool is pretty small. Is it safe to drain 1/2-3/4 of the water and refill? Thatd get your CYA down under 50 and maybe cut your CH by half.

Reactions: bkbrown24
So your CYA is close to 100 and your pool is pretty small. Is it safe to drain 1/2-3/4 of the water and refill? Thatd get your CYA down under 50 and maybe cut your CH by half.
I assumed that would be what was needed. So next step should be to drain 3/4 of the water. What chemicals should i have ready once i drain and refill? Or should i put anything in it before i drain it?

Also its supposed to rain more this weekend. Should i wait until Monday to drain it? Thank you for all your help so far!

It's actually a good idea to do it while it's raining. It will help to keep the exposed plaster moist during the process. Just have liquid chlorine on hand. You may need muriatic acid to reduce pH as well. Hold off on purchasing anything else.

Emptied the pool 3/4 of the way and refilled. Put 2 gallons of chlorine from walmart into it during the refill and these are the new test results.

Ph = 7.5-7.8 (light pinkish so hard to tell which ine it matches perfectly

CI = 0 again. Water stays clear during both tests

Calcium = 15 drops x 25 = 375 ppm

Alkalinity= 8 drops turned it light pinkiish/white and 9 drops turned it fully red so TA is 80 or 90

Cya = filled the CYA viewing tube all the way past 30 and could still see the block dot on the bottom

What should i do now? Throw more chlorine in there to see if it sticks this time? Pool is blue now with all of the green water gone but looks foggy still. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Add 20 ppm of CYA. Wait 24 hours and retest. Your target for a liquid chlorine pool is 30-40 ppm, but you don't want to overshoot your target.

Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine and test after 20 minutes to make sure it holds. If the water is cloudy with no FC, it's likely algae. Do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm. If you fail, begin the SLAM Process. If you do need to SLAM, you'll want your pH at 7.2 before you start as the pH test is invalid at levels over 10 ppm.

I should mention...use the "sock" method for adding CYA. Add CYA to a sock or nylon and hang in front of return or place in the skimmer. I usually use nylon knee-highs and limit the amount of CYA to about 1.5 lbs. for each one. I let them soak for about 20 minutes, then squeeze/massage until the CYA dissolves. Usually take me about 45 minutes to clear on nylon. YMMV