New Pool...Input Requested

Morency pool

Feb 6, 2021
Atlanta Georgia
Hi we are in Atlanta metro and embarking on a new pool project. We have a design we like and a builder...but still have lots to refine before our construction starts in about 30 days.

We are an adult couple (50's) with no children at home. Grandkids 1000 miles away. So this pool is for us.

Pool dimension: 17' x 30'
Water depth: 3.5 to 6 feet
Bench along the length of one side of pool closest to the house. (we eliminated one bench after design)
Tanning ledge along entire length of one end of pool
--2 bubblers
--umbrella holder
3 LED pool lights (color change and control mapped to automation)
Dual annti-vortex main drains
1 leaf skimmer in pool

SPA
7 foot square
3' deep
6 jets
Bench around
1 light
dual-anti vortex drains
18'' high
Flagstone spillover to pool
Temperature controlled independently from pool

Automatic pool cover installed under edge of coping (will not cover spa)

Equipment -- Jandy
Variable speed filtration pump
Cartridge filtration
400K BTU Heater
Jandy Salt System Cholorinator
2 hp air blower for spa
Jandy automated pool control
Freeze protection
Highwater overflow
Automated actuated valves for spa and bubbler
Air and water temp sensors
Automated timers
Schedule 40 PVC

Construction
#3 steel on 12" centers
6-8" structural walls
8" structural floor
10-12" bond beam

Shallow end at tanning ledge and deep end at spa as pictured
Fireplace area moved to tanning ledge end

So what am I missing -- this is our first pool

I would ask for a quote with Pentair equipment. What does "spa temp controlled independently from pool mean?" Need more information... exactly what kind of automation? Brand and model would be helpful. Construction details listed aren't very helpful. There' are lots of different size combinations that work. Just make sure you have a registered engineer stamp the design.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Just saw your photo, nice looking pool! Beware, pools are irresistable attractants for grand kids... and we love it. 1000 miles is a hurdle but sounds like long summer visits are a definite possibility.

Reactions: Morency pool
I would ask for a quote with Pentair equipment. What does "spa temp controlled independently from pool mean?" Need more information... exactly what kind of automation? Brand and model would be helpful. Construction details listed aren't very helpful. There' are lots of different size combinations that work. Just make sure you have a registered engineer stamp the design.

I hope this helps.

Cjhris
When I asked how the heater will work they said that the spa and the pool temperature controlled separately. Meaning I can shut down the pool for the winter and just heat the spa on demand. Not heat the pool to heat the spa.

What do you mean what kind of automation? Temperature, lights, pumps, jets in spa. What else is there. This is our first pool....

The brand is Jandy for all the pool equipment on the current quote.

Just saw your photo, nice looking pool! Beware, pools are irresistable attractants for grand kids... and we love it. 1000 miles is a hurdle but sounds like long summer visits are a definite possibility.
Thanks! We are very excited. Doubtful on the grandkids...the entire family of 14 aunts and uncles cousins etc are in Boston area. There is an expectation that we go there :) if we want to see them...we have a grand daughter yet to meet due to COVID and a neurotic daughter in law.

When I asked how the heater will work they said that the spa and the pool temperature controlled separately. Meaning I can shut down the pool for the winter and just heat the spa on demand. Not heat the pool to heat the spa.

What do you mean what kind of automation? Temperature, lights, pumps, jets in spa. What else is there. This is our first pool....

The brand is Jandy for all the pool equipment on the current quote.
That's pretty normal... You can run in "spa mode" or "pool mode". We're a little further south than you so we never close. Swim every week at least twice year round... just got out about an hour ago. So what exactly controls the automated valve actuators? Are these manual buttons at the spa? You may want to consider a remote automation system. We use ithis a lot in the pool and spa. Spa heats up pretty quick so when we're out at dinner or happy hour and decide we want to take a dip in the spa we use our phone app to turn it on and warm it up. Then when we get in we adjust the heat temp up and down. I would at least get a quote. Automation's not cheap but when you do it as a part of the build you may get a better price.

I realize the builder quote is Jandy but you can ask them for a Pentair quote. I think their equipment is better and seems to be favored by our experts. Also, if you decide to go with automation they have a better product but it does cost more.

Chris

That's pretty normal... You can run in "spa mode" or "pool mode". We're a little further south than you so we never close. Swim every week at least twice year round... just got out about an hour ago. So what exactly controls the automated valve actuators? Are these manual buttons at the spa? You may want to consider a remote automation system. We use ithis a lot in the pool and spa. Spa heats up pretty quick so when we're out at dinner or happy hour and decide we want to take a dip in the spa we use our phone app to turn it on and warm it up. Then when we get in we adjust the heat temp up and down. I would at least get a quote. Automation's not cheap but when you do it as a part of the build you may get a better price.

I realize the builder quote is Jandy but you can ask them for a Pentair quote. I think their equipment is better and seems to be favored by our experts. Also, if you decide to go with automation they have a better product but it does cost more.

Chris
yes thanks for the clarification..it is a remote automation system either from one from the system or from a smartphone. So yes exactly what you are describing above.

Are there specific Pentair models we should be asking for?

I am not sure we will use the pool year round in Atlanta but it will be close to year round..

I appreciate your insight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would ask your pool builder what model number for all of the equipment. This matters a lot. For example:
  • your salt system needs to be sized for 2x your pool capacity. Salt cells deteriorate over time. If you size it for your pool you'll find you have to supplement with liquid chlorine to produce sufficient chlorine to disinfect it. This defeats one of the big benefits of a salt system which is to make your pool easier to care for.
  • Your automation system can be a low end unit that has no capacity for expansion or one that will allow easy control of future needs like landscaping, solar heater, or water features. The reason I asked about automation is your list includes automation and timers. Usually, if you have automation you don't need timers.
  • Cartridge filter works well if it's large enough for your pool. Many PB's install undersized the cartridge which means you end up cleaning it a LOT and it is a pain to do this.
So you need to understand what you have before you ask for comparison costs of other manufacturer's specific model numbers.

I would ask your pool builder what model number for all of the equipment. This matters a lot. For example:
  • your salt system needs to be sized for 2x your pool capacity. Salt cells deteriorate over time. If you size it for your pool you'll find you have to supplement with liquid chlorine to produce sufficient chlorine to disinfect it. This defeats one of the big benefits of a salt system which is to make your pool easier to care for.
  • Your automation system can be a low end unit that has no capacity for expansion or one that will allow easy control of future needs like landscaping, solar heater, or water features. The reason I asked about automation is your list includes automation and timers. Usually, if you have automation you don't need timers.
  • Cartridge filter works well if it's large enough for your pool. Many PB's install undersized the cartridge which means you end up cleaning it a LOT and it is a pain to do this.
So you need to understand what you have before you ask for comparison costs of other manufacturer's specific model numbers.
perfect. I sent the PB an email asking. will report back. :)

We asked for a few jets are different heights, and two different heights for spa seating. No extra cost, and happy we did. 20/20 hindsight, I wish we had planned a rail and step into the spa, and a step in the spa itself. It's ok for us for now, (sit on edge, swing legs over) but for some of our older guests and folks not familiar with our pool, it can be a challenge. I also wish we had added a hand rail at the start. Same reasons. We're going to add a Saftron rail soon (going to start calling today).
Good luck!!

Reactions: Morency pool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.