New pool in Tucson

Here is something neat for you all to enjoy. A special project.

glow2.gif

Other view
glow1.gif

What do you all think? I have to decide on the exact design, but the kids had a blast trying out different things.

They started the tile today, and it looks good. They need to do the negative edge -- maybe Saturday or Monday.
IMG_4397.jpg

Now I have to decide on coping. The pool builder did the math to figure the costs of adding just coping and subtracting the pool decking and other options. I am going to go with pavers for the coping, likely 16x16". Here are the ones I am considering right now:
IMG_4400.jpg

Right now, my preference is the 2nd from the top. However, I need to consider the existing tile of the porch.
IMG_4399.jpg

A week ago Monday, they finished the tile, then its been quiet for a week. They finally got around to electrical this Tuesday and will be doing the coping Thursday.

I have a final section of fence that needs to be brought up to code. You can climb around things and hop a 3' fence to get into my yard, so I have to block this all off. That will be done next Thursday with inspection the next day.

Thus, plaster the following Tuesday or so. We should be done in two weeks! Just in time for swimming (at least in Tucson -- most days are into the 90s)

image_4413.jpg

If you look at my pool (link in sig) you'll see we used quite a bit of glow in the dark tile. We love it.

Hi Bigdav160. Now that you've had some time with your tile, any suggestions? Would you use more or less? I have about a week to make my final decision.

I've seen some pictures where people have randomly scattered tiles on the bottom of the pool to make it look a bit like stars! Any thoughts?

Theep

Funny thing, I have my Easytouch programmed to bring on the pool lights (LED) at dusk. So most of the time I don't see the glow tiles.

There are times we go without lights and they are very cool but they don't put out enough light to see at a distance. For that reason, you might have to cluster several together so get any impact at deeper water depths. Also the tiles charge with daylight and horizontal pieces glow brighter than vertical pieces. They may not get enough light at deeper depths.

It's been a while, but that is because the pool builder isn't doing much -- one small thing each week.

The coping (85 linear feet) took 4 days because they only worked 2 hours at a time. I think they had a lot of jobs, so they did just a bit on each one to make everyone happy. The only reason they finished is because we had scheduled the 2nd pool inspection.

As you may remember, I had to cut my pool decking, which originally was going to be concrete. However, the minimum pour was going to be more than just doing pavers, so that is what we did. The nice thing is that I can do the rest of the deck with the same type of pavers later and it won't look like I did two sets of concrete. They hand-cut the corners because the arc of the pool wasn't consistent. While the size of each cut is different, they pattern they used help hide the irregularity.
IMG_4532.jpg

I decided to put down the brick patio that was there originally (with a different shape) rather than do rock or leave it unfinished. I need to get about 2 tons of fill dirt to raise the patio level to the existing one. When I get the dirt and the time, I'll pull the bricks up, raise the soil, level it, compact it and set the bricks for real. Then in a few years, I want to replace the bricks with pavers that match the pool coping. However, the brick patio keeps the dirt from being tracked in and doesn't look too bad. You can also see the glow-in-the-dark accent tiles.
IMG_4536.jpg

Another view of the tiles. The base was built up with motar, then thin set, then a mixture of thin set and "white" (which I think is some type of glue)
IMG_8328.jpg

Close up view
IMG_8325.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool is filling up. The water is very cloudy, which is (I expect) due to the fresh plaster. I think it will finish some time during the night, so I'll have to adjust the water flow.

The plaster company (sub) is planning on doing a "Hot Start" for the pool to help the Pebble Fina cure. They will put in a bunch of acid and set some temporary pumps in the pool (they are leaving my equipment off to avoid damage to it). It will circulate for a day, then they will but in neutralizer, at which time, the pool company will start balancing the chemicals. It looks like 3 to 5 days before I get to play.

The color is Pebble Fina Grigio. I think the mottled color of the plaster is due to differential drying. I think it will all be the same color when equally dry (or wet, depending on your point of view)

Throwing down plaster.
IMG_8337.jpg

Workmen showing off when they saw I was taking pictures.
IMG_8340.jpg

All done, all smooth. Just started putting in water.
IMG_8346.jpg

Accent tiles on the side of the pool (glow-in-the dark).
IMG_8354.jpg

Accent tiles on the steps
IMG_8358.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.