New Pool in Orlando

You need to think about who will be in the spa with you. Our kids are mostly grown and married and love local so when we put all them in the spa we needed space. You don't want to be squished in a spa.

You need to think about who will be in the spa with you. Our kids are mostly grown and married and love local so when we put all them in the spa we needed space. You don't want to be squished in a spa.
Well, we are on a different end of the spectrum. We have a 3yo and a 3mo, so lots of time left with kids. We have a lot of friends in our neighborhood but it also seems like everyone is building a pool and spa. I previously had a five person stand-alone hot tub and would want more room than that, as it filled up quickly. Given those considerations, what would you do in my shoes @Nikilyn ?

We have a 7x7 and it’s perfect size. Our neighbor has a 6x6 it’s a little tight for a family of 4. We have small children and they love it. They call it the small pool and they learned how to tread water there. They also felt initially safer there when they started to learn how to swim. I feel it was well worth the cost but the biggest factor is the usage. I would go Pentair all the way. They make the best 3 HP VSP.

Last edited:
Reactions: SchubeyDew
We have a 7x7 and it’s perfect size. Our neighbor has a 6x6 it’s a little tight for a family of 4. We have small children and they love it. They call it the small pool and they learned how to tread water there. They also felt initially safer there when they started to learn how to swim. I feel it was well worth the cost but the biggest factor is the usage. I would go Pentair all the way. They make the best 3 HP VSP.

That’s good to know about the hot tub size and especially the kids! It sounds like the larger 6x8 will be the way to go (that’s how I currently have it drawn and priced anyway). As for Pentair, I’m not sure if that’s an option with this builder, but I’ll find out.

I would go bigger if you can. You don't want to build something and find it's too small. I don't think you'll say it's too big. Even if friends are building their own, it's more fun to be in a hot tub with friends.

That being the case, if my Jandy equipment breaks, I might just rip it out and put in a Pentair system down the road. If that’s the plan then it doesn’t make sense to spend extra money on a system I may rip out later. My last thought here is that if I don’t have any issues with the Jandy equipment (no one here seems to think the equipment isn’t good quality), then why mess with it. I know, I’m all over the place with this.
It is well documented throughout the forum that an automation system works best when the control system mfg. is same as the major components mfg. namely the VS pump, and possibly the heater and lights. I have a Jandy RS6 (old model) that does control a Pentair heater with ON/Off and temp. set. but I have a single speed pump so it is just off/on with basic programing of times.
Suggest you search for these discussions or decide if you really want Pentair or Jandy. I know others with Jandy and are perfectly happy with the pump and newer automation systems. Just something to consider.

It is well documented throughout the forum that an automation system works best when the control system mfg. is same as the major components mfg. namely the VS pump, and possibly the heater and lights. I have a Jandy RS6 (old model) that does control a Pentair heater with ON/Off and temp. set. but I have a single speed pump so it is just off/on with basic programing of times.
Suggest you search for these discussions or decide if you really want Pentair or Jandy. I know others with Jandy and are perfectly happy with the pump and newer automation systems. Just something to consider.
I’ve been reading a lot on here 🤓. I wouldn’t mix and match equipment as it just doesn’t seem to work well, or at all. The problem I’ve run into is most pool builders in my area use Jandy and the ones that use Pentair seem to be extremely proud of their pools. For example, the one Pentair pool builder quoted me $90k for what I will get from this PB for $75k.

I’ve been reading a lot on here 🤓. I wouldn’t mix and match equipment as it just doesn’t seem to work well, or at all. The problem I’ve run into is most pool builders in my area use Jandy and the ones that use Pentair seem to be extremely proud of their pools. For example, the one Pentair pool builder quoted me $90k for what I will get from this PB for $75k.
If you like the PB with Jandy equipment, save that significant sum of $$. Jandy, Pentair and Hayward are all reputable mfg of pool equipment.

Sent my final options to the PB for a revised quote and will likely be picking design options at the showroom this week. I ended up keeping the spa 6'x8', decided to just go with the RS4 automation and redrew the pool to be 20'x30'. I went to the yard and remeasured everything and laid out a garden hose, cones and whatever else I could find to see how everything looked visually. It turns out I made a mistake on my measurements and I ended up shifting the sun shelf over a bit to line up with the patio sliders and a column, reduced the bubblers from two to one and added an umbrella holder as the kids will be playing there often. I also shrunk the swimouts from a 5' radius to a 3' radius to make the deep end larger while still maintaining the look I want. I also asked to add an additional pump to be able to run the water features at the same time as the spa. He originally quoted me $1500 for this upgrade, but this was for a variable speed pump. I asked him if I needed a variable for a booster/secondary pump and he said he hasn't done a two pump system and would look into it for me to let me know. From what I've seen on TFB, a variable isn't necessary for a water feature pump, but I don't know if I might be missing something. If the 24" sheer descent and two magic bowls are run on the same pipe, there might be a sweet spot where the bowls and sheer all flow well and I could see why a variable would be good in that situation. Any insight on that would be appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats on the progress! Share your selections with us when you make them. We're still toiling over pretty much everything except our deck pavers.

I will update my progress later this week, but I am having a heck of a time getting a dig date. Have they given you an estimated start date? One of my subs said that a builder he is working with is quoting people August for starting and signing contracts that way as of now. I should have layout this week and hopefully dig next week. Just curious.

On the pump, I would say that a variable speed is not entirely necessary, however, the actual cost to the builder is probably not that much different. With the sheer, 2 bowls, and a bubbler, you probably will need at least a 1.5 HP, maybe larger. The real cost to the builder is probably in the $400 range max, so instead of $1500, maybe it's $1000-$1200 that they charge you. You'll have to decide if it's worth it to you. I am doing two Variable Speeds. One benefit is that if something ever breaks on your main pump, you can swap them and fix the feature pump later without any loss of function for your pool.

Congrats on the progress! Share your selections with us when you make them. We're still toiling over pretty much everything except our deck pavers.

I will update my progress later this week, but I am having a heck of a time getting a dig date. Have they given you an estimated start date? One of my subs said that a builder he is working with is quoting people August for starting and signing contracts that way as of now. I should have layout this week and hopefully dig next week. Just curious.

On the pump, I would say that a variable speed is not entirely necessary, however, the actual cost to the builder is probably not that much different. With the sheer, 2 bowls, and a bubbler, you probably will need at least a 1.5 HP, maybe larger. The real cost to the builder is probably in the $400 range max, so instead of $1500, maybe it's $1000-$1200 that they charge you. You'll have to decide if it's worth it to you. I am doing two Variable Speeds. One benefit is that if something ever breaks on your main pump, you can swap them and fix the feature pump later without any loss of function for your pool.
I was actually looking at your post the other day to see where you build was at. Looking forward to the update. As for build times, most pool builders are telling me 45 days for permitting and design, and either 9-12 or 12-16 weeks for the build, depending on which pool builder. I did have one tell me 7 months start to finish though.
For the design features, I imagine it will be similar to building a house, with a lot of things to decide but only certain options available with each PB.I’ve built two homes in the last five years, so hopefully that experience will help me here. I can only imagine how much your head is spinning with all the decisions considering you’re not limited to a PB’s options and have literally all the options at your fingertips.
You make a good point about being able to swap the pumps if one dies. I hadn’t thought about that, but it could very handy during pool season. I was thinking about the various water features and the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards a variable speed for the secondary. The water features may have different flow demands and ideally the PB will have the pipe and valves arranged where they can all run off the same flow rate, but that’s something I’ll have to look into a little more with the PB.
I’m curious what you chose for pavers as I hear there are a lot of options. Have you chosen a pool finish color yet? I like the Wet Edge Caribbean and it is included with my current price, but I am not 100% decided yet. I’ve heard things about adding abalone (sp?) the make the water shimmer more, but I haven’t dug into that too much yet. I suppose that will be my next area of research on here, lol!

I was actually looking at your post the other day to see where you build was at. Looking forward to the update. As for build times, most pool builders are telling me 45 days for permitting and design, and either 9-12 or 12-16 weeks for the build, depending on which pool builder. I did have one tell me 7 months start to finish though.
For the design features, I imagine it will be similar to building a house, with a lot of things to decide but only certain options available with each PB.I’ve built two homes in the last five years, so hopefully that experience will help me here. I can only imagine how much your head is spinning with all the decisions considering you’re not limited to a PB’s options and have literally all the options at your fingertips.
You make a good point about being able to swap the pumps if one dies. I hadn’t thought about that, but it could very handy during pool season. I was thinking about the various water features and the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards a variable speed for the secondary. The water features may have different flow demands and ideally the PB will have the pipe and valves arranged where they can all run off the same flow rate, but that’s something I’ll have to look into a little more with the PB.
I’m curious what you chose for pavers as I hear there are a lot of options. Have you chosen a pool finish color yet? I like the Wet Edge Caribbean and it is included with my current price, but I am not 100% decided yet. I’ve heard things about adding abalone (sp?) the make the water shimmer more, but I haven’t dug into that too much yet. I suppose that will be my next area of research on here, lol!

We know exactly what pool color we want... we just don't know what finish is going to give it to us! We want a deep blue with some glass and some shell... the abalone shell does indeed offer a sparkle to the water. We like Wet Edge Deep Sea Blue, PebbleTec Deep Cove. I actually have a company making a sample for me of the Wet Edge one, but with less black pebbles to lighten it up just a smidge, I think that is where we will land.

Our pavers will be Flagstone (Brand), Traverstone (style), White/Pewter (color). We're doing paver coping, most likely in white, may do pewter depending on tile and surface.

Those are honestly some good time frames if they can hit them. I am sure I'll have other delays, but my issue right now is mostly with the dig. Other subs have less than 5-days lead time. I am under no illusion that I won't hit other snags, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they can pull it off... they're giving themselves some fluff with design and permitting. My issue is buying power, my LDS contractor has 80+ pools in their queue and I am only doing 1 of them... PBs may have 10+ at any given time and 50+ in a year, so they have to take care of the bigger client. I get it, but it doesn't make me any less anxious. I'm hoping for 10-12 weeks from the dig.

The difference in the VS pump vs the 1-speed is this... the 1 speed may be a 1.5HP, pulling 1500w, let's say it pumps at 80GPM under normal conditions, but your features only need 30GPM... to make the pump go at a lower flow, you have to increase head (resistance).... your PB will do this by running the valves at say half throttle or less to reduce the flow... the pump is still pulling 1500w... or more (may increase a bit with higher resistance depending on the efficiency point on the curve)... With a VS pump, if you need 30GPM, you can dial it in to 30GPM, effectively making it a 1/2 HP pump for instance, and reducing the power consumption. You do less work with artificial head introduced into the system, only using the valves to balance things, not to control the flow. Hopefully that explanation makes sense.

The reality is that this may not be a deciding factor because the features are on a fraction of the time if you only use them when you're using the pool, but it is less work on the pump, and less hit to your electric bill. I think your assessment is correct though that a single speed pump can be dialed in with the use of valves to control the features.

Based on stories from others in Florida on here recently, I would not believe 9-12 weeks, lol. If it is done that quick then great but I would be surprised.
If it’s more, I guess it is what it is. There are only so many sub contractors out there and demand is crazy right now, so the best you can hope for is a contractor that is on top of things.
That being said, our friends are building with this builder down the street from us. Their build started in December or January and is scheduled to be done in April and their build should be a good gauge for us. When I asked the PB about it today he said 16 weeks from the day they excavate, so I imagine six months from signing is what we are hoping for.

We know exactly what pool color we want... we just don't know what finish is going to give it to us! We want a deep blue with some glass and some shell... the abalone shell does indeed offer a sparkle to the water. We like Wet Edge Deep Sea Blue, PebbleTec Deep Cove. I actually have a company making a sample for me of the Wet Edge one, but with less black pebbles to lighten it up just a smidge, I think that is where we will land.

It’s good to know that someone who has all options available is looking at Wet Edge. My rear neighbor has Wet Edge and really likes it. It looks like you are going for a slightly darker blue than us, as we are looking for more of an aquamarine hue. We like Aruba as well, but I’m not sure if we like it better and it will be an upgrade.

Our pavers will be Flagstone (Brand), Traverstone (style), White/Pewter (color). We're doing paver coping, most likely in white, may do pewter depending on tile and surface.

No idea what we are doing for pavers yet, but we will probably get a sandy color.

Those are honestly some good time frames if they can hit them. I am sure I'll have other delays, but my issue right now is mostly with the dig. Other subs have less than 5-days lead time. I am under no illusion that I won't hit other snags, but I wouldn't be too shocked if they can pull it off... they're giving themselves some fluff with design and permitting. My issue is buying power, my LDS contractor has 80+ pools in their queue and I am only doing 1 of them... PBs may have 10+ at any given time and 50+ in a year, so they have to take care of the bigger client. I get it, but it doesn't make me any less anxious. I'm hoping for 10-12 weeks from the dig.

The difference in the VS pump vs the 1-speed is this... the 1 speed may be a 1.5HP, pulling 1500w, let's say it pumps at 80GPM under normal conditions, but your features only need 30GPM... to make the pump go at a lower flow, you have to increase head (resistance).... your PB will do this by running the valves at say half throttle or less to reduce the flow... the pump is still pulling 1500w... or more (may increase a bit with higher resistance depending on the efficiency point on the curve)... With a VS pump, if you need 30GPM, you can dial it in to 30GPM, effectively making it a 1/2 HP pump for instance, and reducing the power consumption. You do less work with artificial head introduced into the system, only using the valves to balance things, not to control the flow. Hopefully that explanation makes sense.

Your explanation does make sense, except it seems like maybe they could just use a 1HP pump instead of a 1.5HP. Then again, after reading some on here last night it seems like using one pump to power the spa, unfiltered and using the other pump to circulate through the filtration system and the water features may be the way to go. I’m really curious to hear what the pool builder has to say about all that. I’m honestly leaning towards two variable speed pumps now as it will give me more options.

The reality is that this may not be a deciding factor because the features are on a fraction of the time if you only use them when you're using the pool, but it is less work on the pump, and less hit to your electric bill. I think your assessment is correct though that a single speed pump can be dialed in with the use of valves to control the features.

So I got my semi-final quote back from PB4 and it came in around where I thought it would. After some consideration I have decided against autofill, so that will put me back under $80k. He also said that he would give me the discount (seen just above the final price) despite only one of my two neighbors building with them. This is a BIG deal for me as that discount is what allowed me to go from a 16x30 to a 20x30 pool. Now we just have to be conservative when we pick out tile and other finish options on Saturday.
He ended up pricing me for a single speed pump for the water features and the variable speed pump will power the spa (along with a blower) and pool circulation. If I want to change it to a variable it would be an additional $700 or so. I’m undecided on whether I want to keep it as he currently has it set up or make some changes. I’m going to request an equipment list tomorrow and see exactly what I’m getting there. Most of the Jandy PB’s were pricing me for a CS 200 filter, but from what I see on here it may be worthwhile to upgrade to a larger filter.
My only other consideration is the overall size. I have it sketched out for a 34’ x 40’ paver area and I’m told anything over 32’ (or 28’ depending on who you talk to) requires a stronger structure and it brings the price of the screen up significantly. I’ve reached out to a few screen enclosure companies and hope to have that figured out by Saturday. If I need to keep it at 32’ I can probably just take a foot from the pool and a foot from the paver area between the home and the pool/sun shelf. Overall a very big day today as it looks like we will be able to build the pool we want to build and not just the pool we can afford! Below is the revised quote. 0DE7C031-11EE-4C97-B447-FF4DE74C8A40.jpeg0DE7C031-11EE-4C97-B447-FF4DE74C8A40.jpegCAD53502-0FC2-4BAA-82D3-61F57A857F35.jpeg

If you only have the 1 sheer decent, the single speed pump may be OK. Just remember, whatever the flow that is put out of the pump and the head loss it has to overcome to the water feature is the flow you will get exiting the feature. Just ensure it is sufficient flow to get the effect you desire. You can put a valve in to help reduce the flow if too much. You would need a valve regardless as you want a means to isolate the feature.
A larger cartridge filter will reduce the amount of time needed between cleaning the filter. If you have a screen enclosure, you may be fine with the smaller filter. Obviously if you go up 1 size it would be better but probably not critical.

If you only have the 1 sheer decent, the single speed pump may be OK. Just remember, whatever the flow that is put out of the pump and the head loss it has to overcome to the water feature is the flow you will get exiting the feature. Just ensure it is sufficient flow to get the effect you desire. You can put a valve in to help reduce the flow if too much. You would need a valve regardless as you want a means to isolate the feature.
A larger cartridge filter will reduce the amount of time needed between cleaning the filter. If you have a screen enclosure, you may be fine with the smaller filter. Obviously if you go up 1 size it would be better but probably not critical.

It would be the 24” sheer descent, two Pentair Magic Bowls and a bubbler on that pump. I did ask the builder if it would be an issue trying to get the flow right for the separate features and he said the plumber would do the calculations for the head, gph and all that to get it correct. Honestly, I wouldn’t know how to check on any of that as it’s over my head, so I’m going to have trust the builder on that one, unless anyone here has any other ideas. I would imagine a variable speed pump would allow me to provide more or less flow to all of those features, but I would still have to rely on the plumber using the correct valves and piping to get proper flow to the individual features.
@OrlandoBull How often did you need to clean the filter? I don’t have any experience with cartridge filters. Also, keep in mind I will not have a screen, at least not for the first year or so. We want to try it out without the screen and if we find the bugs are too bad, we will get one, but if not, it will extend the pool season (screens cool the water) and save a good chunk of money. And on that note, I did get a price on a 34’ screen from your screen guy and the cost was the same relative cost as the 28’ screen, so I don’t have to worry about staying under a certain screen size to keep costs down.

With my screened pool and 20sf filter, I probably did it every 6 months... mostly pollen season. I probably changed to a new cartridge 3 times in the 5 years or so in the house. Maybe more frequent cleaning could have reduced that, but generally, 6 months for cleaning and change every 18 months or so was my maintenance on the filter.

When I had my unscreened pool, I had maybe a 150sf filter. I would clean that one maybe every 3 months. During crepe myrtle dropping season, I had a neighbor with a tree that was close enough to clog things, so, that may have been every couple of weeks during that time to deal with stuff that made it past the skimmer. I am going with a 200sf filter on mine, and a 150sf filter on my feature pump. When I was researching, the larger filters are actually rated for less flow for some reason which was weird to me.

Good to hear on the screen. I understand the thoughts there, definitely makes the pool a little cooler.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.