New pool first test

debuda

Bronze Supporter
May 16, 2019
Los Angeles
Hi,

So I just tested our new pool for the first time using the taylor test kit after builders guy came through and adjusted balance today.

Values are as follows
FC 4ppm
CYA 40
pH 8
TA 110

I'm going to get some muriatic acid to lower pH. What do you use to raise TA? Is it normal for it to be so low??

I use baking soda to raise TA when I need to which has only happened twice in two years. I keep my TA at 80. I have a SWG and Fiberglass pool.

I am 45 minutes south of L.A. With CYA of 40, raise chlorine up to 7 ppm. That would be your upper target. 20 minutes later I would dose with muriatic acid and lower your pH to 7.7

Fill out your signature so that TFP experts can see what equipment you have.

I am 45 minutes south of L.A. With CYA of 40, raise chlorine up to 7 ppm. That would be your upper target. 20 minutes later I would dose with muriatic acid and lower your pH to 7.7

Fill out your signature so that TFP experts can see what equipment you have.

Thank you. Just out of curiosity why would I want to raise chlorine further before I reduce pH. Is there an inverse relationship going on?

I'll try and fill out my signature.

Why do you think the TA is low? If you are chlorinating with liquid chlorine then the TA is actually quite high and will cause your pH to rise very quickly.
Ok I messed up my numbers when posting...sorry about that..
Here is what I got...

FC 4
pH 8
CYA 40
TA 30
CH 110

Hopefully that makes some more sense.

So I was thinking I need to add to bring up the CH and lower the pH

@debuda there is an 80 ppm difference with your TA results from post 1 to post 9. Is that testing error? Total alkalinity of 30 would crash your pH. If your testing is accurate you will need to raise TA to 50 ppm minimum with baking soda (Arm & Hammer grocery aisle) Use Pool Math to determine how much baking soda to dose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@debuda there is an 80 ppm difference with your TA results from post 1 to post 9. Is that testing error? Total alkalinity of 30 would crash your pH. If your testing is accurate you will need to raise TA to 50 ppm minimum with baking soda (Arm & Hammer grocery aisle) Use Pool Math to determine how much baking soda to dose.
You are correct. I retested and it is 110.

I think my pH is really really high. Im afraid to add to much muriatic acid though. pool math only goes to 8 and accordingly to bring my ph down it recommended 1 cup of acid. I've added 2 cups and no difference that I could tell after repeated tests.
Any pointers?

Attachments

• 20190820_184324.jpg
    20190820_184324.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
It could be that your PH is a little higher then 8.0 I plugged in your information and to go from 8.0 to 7.6 would be 27 ounces MA 31.45% if you go from 8.0 to 7.4 it would be 46 ounces MA 31.45%. but if its higher then 8.0 that number may increase. I see you have a spa, so you may be aerating causing your PH to constantly rise. This is the CYA/CHLORINE CHART FOR SWG make sure to go to bottom for SWG levels. Also this is the recommended levels for CH, CYA, PH, TA. Hope this helps.

It could be that your PH is a little higher then 8.0 I plugged in your information and to go from 8.0 to 7.6 would be 27 ounces MA 31.45% if you go from 8.0 to 7.4 it would be 46 ounces MA 31.45%. but if its higher then 8.0 that number may increase. I see you have a spa, so you may be aerating causing your PH to constantly rise. This is the CYA/CHLORINE CHART FOR SWG make sure to go to bottom for SWG levels. Also this is the recommended levels for CH, CYA, PH, TA. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the post. I ended up adding more than 1.5 gallons of MA 14.5% and it brought my pH to 7.4

The pool plaster guy was supposed to come out for three days after plaster and he only sent a guy here for one day. So I've just been trying to balance things out here on my own.

My levels right now...
pH 7.4
CYA didnt recheck first post...was 40
CH 240 (added a whole bunch of calcium cloride)
FC 6.5
CC 0
TA 100

Please let me know if I'm missing anything or if my numbers are really out of whack for this.

Thanks again!

Make sure you refer to the Recommended Levels. Everything looks okay just need to bring your CYA up to at least 70 for SWG pools. I Printed out that recommended levels list and i keep it close by for reference. Yea I usually knock my PH down to 7.4-7.5 when it takes three drops of acid demand to get it there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.