North/Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi All! Just finished construction on our pool in mid December. We attempted to hire a pool service, but after being blatantly lied to on the very first visit, I have decided to take charge of it myself. I just got my TF Pro Salt kit today and I am looking for feedback on my first set of results. The pool is about 11200 gallons based on online calculations. It is a pebble finish, SWG. Equipment is Hayward Aqua Plus with TurboCell T15, TriStar VS pump, SwimClear 150 cartridge filter. Currently, the filter runs from 9-6 and the chlorinator is set at 20%. Please let me know if I left out any pertinent information.

Test results are:
FC 3.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 60
CH 300
CYA 50
Salt 4000
CSI -.052
Temp 79

I added 2lbs of stabilizer a week and half ago at the direction of the local pool store because they had my CYA at 45. Pool Math is telling me to add another 2lbs now, but I’m surprised it didn’t increase, though I understand their test may have been wrong. Or mine could be wrong now.

Also, I‘ve had to add 4 cups of acid every two or three days to keep pH below 8, but I understand that to be normal with a new pool. This reading is about 2 hours after I added 4 cups today.

The Salt level is high now but before we added an additional bag of salt we were having difficulty maintaining FC levels. Should I try to lower this or let it ride? I do anticipate salt loss from splash out and rain in the coming months.

I am considering adding Borates to the pool once I get everything where it needs to be. Is there a recommended amount of time to wait to do this with a new pool?

I appreciate any advice! Thank you 🙂

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the new pool. Let's get right to your questions:
- You will go through acid quickly as the plaster continues to cure. That's normal.
- Your test results look very good. No red flags. Yes, the CYA is a tad low (ideal 70), but if it's still cool in your area you may get away with it. You can add stabilizer in increments of 10 ppm to slowly creep-up to 70. Just don't over-shoot and go too high.
- Leave the salt alone for now. It should be acceptable.
- Wait on the borates. Give yourself time to get accustomed to water testing and your kit. Let the pool cure a bit more and stabilize before you add another factor into the mix.

Overall you're doing well. :goodjob: Your biggest focus right now is FC and pH. Watch those two to closest and you should do well. Always have a jug of liquid chlorine available if you ever see the FC crash and need to give the water a quick increase.

Enjoy your new oasis. :swim:

The test is so subjective and I want to be sure I don’t over do it.
Yes, it takes some getting used to. Below are some links and notes if it helps.

My Own CYA Testing Notes:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Some people like to squirt enough solution to go line-by-line for a better feel. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

Reactions: Sumthinred
Yes, it takes some getting used to. Below are some links and notes if it helps.

My Own CYA Testing Notes:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Some people like to squirt enough solution to go line-by-line for a better feel. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

Those are awesome notes!! I will redo the test today before I add anything. I really appreciate your help!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Welcome to TFP!!!

I'd take a second read through this (Link)-->FC/CYA Levels

FC demand (what gets used everyday) can change with the season (higher in the summer). Make sure you watch your FC as the season changes and adjust your SWCG accordingly. FC min is 3, and target is 5 for CYA of 70. My FC demand, even in Ohio, can be up to 5.5. I keep my FC at 7-9, and certainly 9 in June/July. Why? 9 - 5.5 = 3.5...still keeps me above minimums.

Thank you for the link! I was playing around on PoolMath and it looks like once I get my CYA up, I should be able to reach the recommended FC level up by increasing my chlorinator to 25% now. I will definitely monitor that. The kids have been swimming everyday already, so I’m expecting heavy usage.

Thank you for the link! I was playing around on PoolMath and it looks like once I get my CYA up, I should be able to reach the recommended FC level up by increasing my chlorinator to 25% now. I will definitely monitor that. The kids have been swimming everyday already, so I’m expecting heavy usage.
Great! Depending on your cell, you may find that if you increase your SWCG %, it will be hard to RAISE fc. Use liquid chlorine to raise fc and your SWCG to maintain fc. SWCG is great for maintaining, not so much for raising.

Great! Depending on your cell, you may find that if you increase your SWCG %, it will be hard to RAISE fc. Use liquid chlorine to raise fc and your SWCG to maintain fc. SWCG is great for maintaining, not so much for raising.
Interesting! Ok, I do have a jug of chlorine on hand that I can use. Thanks 😊

Thank you so much! It is starting to get warmer here (this past week was in the 80s), so I will work on getting my CYA up slowly. The test is so subjective and I want to be sure I don’t over do it.

For reassurance you are doing it correctly, you could order a standard solution to see if you get the correct results. Tftestkits has a 50ppm solution.
R-7065 CYA Standard 50ppm (2oz)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.