New Pool - East Texas

mac_attack

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2019
East TX
Long time lurker, first time poster! I feel like I've learned a lot from reading here, so thank you for that! This will be our first pool we have owned. This post may be a bit premature, too. We have received bids from six different builders and feel like this is the design and builder we will end up using. Please share your thoughts on the pool design and specs provided by the builder. It's not the most detailed and I have a few questions for him already prepared, but I want to get input from others that have more knowledge. Thanks!

My questions are mainly: pool structure specs/warranty, ditching the Polaris for a robot vac, adding another light, upgrading to the IC60.

The flagstone patio and BBQ pad shown are preexisting and we wanted the pool and new decking to work with those structures. Our lot is on the golf course and we want to obtain/maintain some privacy. Currently we only have an iron fence. There are two large oak trees that will have to come down. The pool will be for my wife, two daughters (16 & 10) and myself. We don't typically entertain or host visitors. The pics show travertine, which we may decide to go with for an additional cost.

Here are the specifications:

POOL
Perimeter 90 lf (Maximum Width 22'6” / Maximum Length 30'6”) Depth 3’6” – 4’6” – 6’
Tanning ledge with integrated bench and steps
Approximately 35’ of 18” raised beam on back of pool with standard tile veneer
2 Skimmers
5 Returns
1 Auto fill
1 LED Pool light – Color
Coping – Oklahoma Tan Flagstone
Tile – Standard tile selections
Toe tile spotters on tanning ledge, all steps and benches
Regular plaster – Sky Blue
2” Suction & Return lines Split main drain
Autofill
Overflow drain

WATER FEATURES
2 bubblers in tanning ledge
Two 2’ wide sheer descents in raised beam

DECK
375 sq ft Salt Finish Concrete
No concrete around back side of pool

EQUIPMENT
All of the Pentair equipment comes with 3 year Manufacturer Warranty

Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
Pentair Booster Pump
Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter
Pentair 5G Pool light – Color - 1
Pentair EZ Touch 4 Pool Controller with IC40
Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt Cell)
Pentair Screen Logic (Allows you to run the pool from your smart phone)
Polaris 280 Pressure Side Cleaner

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 73
Welcome.
The design looks good to me. Do you have an issue with golf balls in the yard currently? If so, you may consider doing a net as well since you will presumably be out there more and the net can save your noggin, tile, etc.

On the equipment:
- Do you know what the "Pentair Booster Pump" will be, and is it for the polaris or the sheer descents?
- I would double check the light specs and make sure the coverage is adequate with just 1.
- EzTouch and Screen Logic is okay for automation, but it is older technology that will not be supported at some point. I would go with the Intellicenter which is much newer and should be very similar in price to both of those (you dont seen screen logic since the wifi/phone capability is already in the intellicenter)
- Polaris. Ditch this and go for a robot. They clean better and do not need an extra pump.

Sorry to highjack your post (or maybe add to it, depending on your perspective) I just looked at my bid and noticed it doesn't have vacuum, so if it doesn't have one, do I just buy a robot when the pool is completed? If so, will the equipment I have work or do I need to do something ? My PB is an older guy, so not sure if he is up to date with whatever a robot might entail.

Thanks

Sorry to highjack your post (or maybe add to it, depending on your perspective) I just looked at my bid and noticed it doesn't have vacuum, so if it doesn't have one, do I just buy a robot when the pool is completed? If so, will the equipment I have work or do I need to do something ? My PB is an older guy, so not sure if he is up to date with whatever a robot might entail.

Thanks
Yes, you can usually buy them cheaper not going through the pool builder. The only "equipment" you need is an electrical outlet near the pool where you can plug in the robot. You should ask you PB though so you do not end up with 2 cleaners.

Yes, you can usually buy them cheaper not going through the pool builder. The only "equipment" you need is an electrical outlet near the pool where you can plug in the robot. You should ask you PB though so you do not end up with 2 cleaners.

Can you please recommend a robot that I could research ? we have a rectangle pool 32 x 16 (give or take, minus a spa and tanning ledge)

Start here, as Maytronics seems to be the leading manufacturer. The S200 (in the "Better" tab) seems to get a lot of good press here, with other models having additional features like wifi and a caddy.

You should definitely look into more lights, as you cannot add lighting after the pool is finished. That’s the one regret my neighbor had, his pb said he would do fine with one light and his deep end is very dark at night.

Thanks for tips, JJ_Tex and Callalilly41. Now we are waiting on city permit and HOA approval. We did decide to add another light and we removed the bench in the shallow end. We are also getting the Intellicenter with IC60 and we will purchase a robot vacuum as suggested. The booster pump was for the Polaris.

We do not really have trouble with golf balls in the yard. We have found 3 or 4 since we've been here, but no where near where the pool will be (or any windows thankfully). The tee boxes are behind our house so that helps limit the stray balls.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nah, that would have been nice for us, but we asked for the change when we were doing all the swapping of equipment and stuff before signing the contract. The extra 1' dig was itemized as an extra $375. Although, it could have been just a good number to use since in the end the total price didn't change with all of the other changes we made with the lights and cleaner and stuff.

Hoping to get the city inspection done today and we're on the list for the gunite crew, but it's likely to be a bit of a wait with how busy they are right now.

Reactions: Marc1310
I discovered what I hope is a little hiccup in the build process today. I was taking a closer look at the plumbing while we continue to wait for our day for gunite and noticed the return plumbing is all 1-1/2" out in the pool. I have sent a message to the builder, but of course want to hear from TFP to see what y'all think. The agreement we signed was for 2". I'm not sure if this is a big issue or not, but I know it wouldn't be any better to discover it after gunite either! I don't know if it was 2" up until the outlets or if it's 1-1/2" all around or what. Skimmer lines are 2".

Edit: Return line is 2" from pump and underground around the pool edge where there is tee for 1-1/2" return outlets/fittings. Heavy rains have filled the pool so I am pumping that out and will need a little mucking in the deep end, but not major cave ins.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.