New Pool Design (Baton Rouge, LA) - Seeking Design Input

Yes, that's the reason for Return #7 being in the [almost 90 degree] corner of the tanning ledge. By the way, how deep is your tanning ledge?

We wanted 9 inches of water like you but ended up with 6. Communication issues. The 6 is working out fine, but I'd still prefer 9.

Agreed. I've spent a lot of time working out this issue (on paper at least). If you look at my 2nd drawing, it shows a green 4" drainage pipe running the entire length between the new decking and the existing decking with deck drains every 7' or so to help move any water that may collect in that area. I think this will be sufficient, but let me know if you think otherwise.

The drainage is 1/2 the question and you'll probably be fine with that. The hard part is figuring out the grade from the pool to the existing deck when you only have a couple feet (estimating). The pool will need to be 2-3 or more inches higher than the end of the existing deck. I would think that different PB's will offer different solutions. The ones that I talked too suggested breaking up the existing deck and putting pavers on top the existing deck. I didn't do either. Just highlighting something that may come up.

Speaking of lighting, given the overall size of the pool (~35' x 13' with a 10' tanning ledge), do you think the 2 Pentair LED's on each end will be sufficient (assuming I figure out a way to light the tanning ledge area)?

I'm thinking yes .. 2 is fine.

none of my friends that have pools had to have theirs inspected; in fact, not even a permit is required

Wow .. surprising. I live in st tammany and the parish has a handful of pool specific code requirements and required 2 electrical, a preliminary (for grade), and final inspection. Permit also required. I guess this is a blessing and a curse all at once (for you). Desirable, in that you won't have delays and fees ... undesirable, because you won't have a little extra help from inspectors with making sure everything is in order.

Anyway, I found these Globrite lights from Pentair (http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...lights-454.htm) that are very small and seem to be specifically designed for tanning ledges and other shallow areas.

Nice .. wish I would have checked into those!

Good luck ... looking forward to seeing your progress.

The drainage is 1/2 the question and you'll probably be fine with that. The hard part is figuring out the grade from the pool to the existing deck when you only have a couple feet (estimating). The pool will need to be 2-3 or more inches higher than the end of the existing deck. I would think that different PB's will offer different solutions. The ones that I talked too suggested breaking up the existing deck and putting pavers on top the existing deck. I didn't do either. Just highlighting something that may come up.

Ok, I know what you're saying. I've talked to 3 builders so far. None of them mentioned a specific height requirement. They just said it had to be sloping away from the pool. And with the current slope of the existing concrete (as shown in my 2nd drawing attachment in my original post), all the water should run to the left side and away from the house. I probably don't even really need the drains on the right side, but I figured better safe than sorry. And using the Hidden Drain (Pour-A-Lid) type, they're not too aesthetically displeasing or expensive.

I'll ask if them though if there is a height or slope/pitch requirement. I really hope it's not 2"-3", b/c I'm only working with 12" b/n the existing concrete and the coping in some spots. Of course, I could move the WHOLE pool further back and to the right, but I REALLY don't want to, as that eats into the precious remaining yard space I have left b/n the pool and fences. We'll see though. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh, and it turns out my brother DID have to have his inspected, but not a friend of mine who just put one in. Maybe it just depends on the builder.

Imperator, I also wanted to see what you thought about moving my waterfall suction over (1) b/n R1 and the bench, or (2) b/n R2 and the bench, or (3) b/n the light and the slide. My first thought was to put it as close as possible to the pad, which would be option (1) or (2), but I also want to make sure I don't upset the function of the returns or skimmer or the main drain. Any thoughts on exact WF suction placement?

Imperator, I also wanted to see what you thought about moving my waterfall suction over (1) b/n R1 and the bench, or (2) b/n R2 and the bench, or (3) b/n the light and the slide. My first thought was to put it as close as possible to the pad, which would be option (1) or (2), but I also want to make sure I don't upset the function of the returns or skimmer or the main drain. Any thoughts on exact WF suction placement?

Saw your other thread and looks like you've got this one wrapped up. Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act compliant is a must ... especially for such a strong/dedicated suction line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.