New pool deck, existing shotcrete around the coping

TomBF

Oct 4, 2021
We're having a new deck poured around a 50 year old pool and the original builders left a lot of shotcrete around the border. I assume this was partly to support forms or just cleaning their equipment?
Anyway, with a 3.5-4" pour there won't be much room for base rock in these areas. will that be an issue with the longevity of the new deck? If so i can easily ask them to pull these areas out or even do it myself.
I know I should ask my concrete guy but I'm sort the ask a lot of questions customer already so I like to do my research first.
Thanks, Tom

Attachments

• Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 35
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 35
Sorry I can't help much with the question. But, are you replacing the plumbing too? Hard to tell from the picture but if that is flex pipe and you have it opened to there anyway, you might want to replace it with rigid.

I would have all that old shotcrete rebound removed. The base layer for you new deck needs to have a level and consistent surface to allow for proper drainage. You want a smooth, level and well compacted surface that’s about 2” deeper than the final concrete deck slab thickness. Those two inches get filled in with proper base material (clean gravel) and then the concrete slab is poured over that. If you have huge pieces of old concrete that is going to make the base layer very inconsistent.

Reactions: TomBF and proavia
Sorry I can't help much with the question. But, are you replacing the plumbing too? Hard to tell from the picture but if that is flex pipe and you have it opened to there anyway, you might want to replace it with rigid.
That's new electrical, but to your point I found out yesterday that I really should replace the skimmer and 50 year old plumbing. Project creep :-(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.