Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2023
NORTHERN FLORIDA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I've had a new pool cleaner for a few weeks now and it vacuums and brushes the floor, walls, and water line. Does a very nice job. My question is do I still need to brush my pool? I'm running the cleaner at a minimum of 2 days a week. Thanks?

You’re still going to want to brush crevices that the bot doesn’t get to on occasion.
Like steps, around ladders etc.
I do this weekly or if I notice dirt accumulation.
& a good full brushing once in a while is a good idea. Since I got my bot I only do the full brushing monthly or so as it cleans up my vinyl liner with ease. Those with plaster surfaces should still brush frequently as their surfaces aren’t smooth.
What cleaner do you have? Add it to your signature.

I use my robot pool cleaner once a week, and I brush the walls weekly. My robot is supposed to do walls and steps, I've watched it and it does great on the floor, but on the walls I would say it covers 30-50% of the walls and almost none of the steps.

I brush the walls as insurance against biofilm which can give algae a foothold. It doesn't take long, and since I do it weekly, I don't need to scrub, just a quick brushing.

A few minutes of brushing, to prevent a possible SLAM, this had worked for me for the past four swimming seasons.

If you still don't want to brush, you can periodically feel the walls, if you begin to feel something slippery or slime on the walls, you should consider brushing.

Reactions: Mdragger88
and use an algaecide for insurance.
During the regular season, algecide is counterproductive. It depletes your chlorine leaving you with less of each, ironically making you need the algecide.

It serves a better purpose where we close pools and they won't be touched for months at a time.

Stay free and clear away from minimum and algecide is redundant. No need to prevent something thats already well prevented. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88 and JLP3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.